Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Creating a login program

Quote Reply
Creating a login program
I am trying to design a login program for a facility at the university I work at. At this facility, people are scheduled to come and be there from a certain time till a certain time, although they are not employees they are still required to be there. I want to design some type of application that they can login or check into when they arrive, and logout or checkout when they leave and the application will record the times they were there.

The facility I work at has a website which I am the webmaster of, and I was thinking maybe the best way to go about this would be to design some sort of web applet that they could log into from one of the lab computers, recording their ip so we know its from there and not home, then logout from those computers.

However, I dont know anything about webprogramming, so I dont know what would be the best tool for the job.

What im thinking is having each user have a username and password, and then type their user/pass into the webapplet and it would timestamp that time and store it in a file. So that at the end of the semester a type of database would be formed detailing their comings and goings so we know whats going on.

Im thinking maybe I will have to use something like JAVA or SQL for this. I know i have no idea where to start, but I have the whole summer to work on this so I dont think it will be a problem.

Does anyone have some suggestions or can improve upon this basic design?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: [Isocene] Creating a login program In reply to
Sorry, wrong forum.