Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Bugs?
Hi,

If I login incorrectly, I get an authentication error. So far so good. Now if on that screen I enter the correct login info, here is what I get:

<<<<<<<

Authentication Error

The page requested (msgs_list.htm) is not found or invalid.

Please login before continuing.

>>>>>>>>

This message happens every single time (Meaning it is a constant reproducible behavior) even though info is entered correctly.

Now here is how it gets more interesting. If on that authentication page I get above, I reenter correct info (Now it's the third attempt at entering data), then system accepts info and logs in user correctly.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks

Frank
Quote Reply
Re: [frankLo] Bugs? In reply to
I just tried it on my copy and it didn't happen. I can't check if it was fixed in CVS as it seems CVS is down Unsure. I seem to remember such a thing happening a while ago, but it sounds more like a template issue. Have you taken a look at the HTML the pages produce? Mainly look for the hidden input fields that are being submitted with the form.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Bugs? In reply to
Hi Adrian,

I stand corrected...The error does not occur when authentication fails but rather when session expires and you try to login from same screen

Please advise

Thanks

Frank
Quote Reply
Frank,

So if you login properly, don't do anything until your session times out, then try to do something and it sends you to the login page with the session expiry error. Are you saying that if you enter the correct username and password you will get:
Quote:
Authentication Error

Can you tell me exactly what you did, so I can attempt to replicate it here? Thanks.

Adrian

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian,

Yes what you described is eactly what happens.

I login, then say I leave GM screen open for some time without any activity. Then GM logs out and a login form is there (Different from the usual login form). If I enter my correct info there, I get the message described above. But then if I reenter same info, then I can login fine.

Thanks

Frank
Quote Reply
hmm... that's weird because I do that a lot on my system here and I don't run into any problems. Only difference I can think of is that I've done things after I've logged on so that the url is no longer "login.cgi?...", but "webmail.cgi?..." I'll give that a whirl.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Then GM logs out and a login form is there (Different from the usual login form).
Different from the usual login form? How so? Do you mean it now says:
Quote:
Authentication Error

Invalid/Expired session.

Well something like that since it's actually a template thing, so it could say anything.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Brewt,

Well it seems the template that is being loaded upon session expiry is different from login page one gets when first coming to GM. That's why I do not believe it is same page

Thanks

Frank
Quote Reply
Adrian,

Here is the URL that GM goes to when session expires:

webmail.cgi?sid=;t=default;msgtrack_fid=1;page=msgs_list.htm

Different from login.cgi

After I enter the login info, I get redirected to login.cgi with this message:

<<<<<<<<

Authentication Error

>>>>>>>>>

Here, I can login. So I guess the problem is with webmail.cgi

Frank

Last edited by:

frankLo: Apr 9, 2002, 1:54 AM
Quote Reply
Maybe you could post the source to the login page (which after submitting results in that error)? Which templates are you using, and have you made any modifications/customizations to it? I can't seem to replicate it here Unsure
You're right about the template being different for the session expiry page. It uses the error_auth.htm template (along with login_include.htm).

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Apr 9, 2002, 2:18 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian,

I am using one of the 2 new templates you guys will be releasing.

Here is some code from the session expiry page. I have included the form portion. Here is where 'msgs_list.htm' is referenced:

<<<<<<<<<<

<form action="login.cgi" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="login_state" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="t" value="default">
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="100%">
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" colspan="2">

<input type=hidden name="sid" value="">
<input type=hidden name="stay_put" value="1">
<input type=hidden name="page" value="msgs_list.htm">
<input type=hidden name="msgtrack_fid" value="1">

<center class="normal"><b>
Login Information</b><br>

>>>>>>>>

Hope this will help us figure out this issue

Thanks

Frank
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian,

Any thoughts on this issue? It remains unfixed

Thanks

Frank
Quote Reply
hmm... does this it happen if you: login, logout, go back, click on something (you'll get sent to the session expired login page), and then login?
Have you tried replicating this on our demo?
I can't seem to replicate it on my copy here (I use gmail on a daily basis), and my sessions time out often. Very strange...

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian,

Yes it does. Every single time :(

Frank
Quote Reply
Frank,

Have you made any changes to the templates or code? I just tested it on http://freemail.gossamer-threads.com and it didn't happen. It also doesn't happen on my install. Also, could you send me a link to your install (a login would be nice too) and I could take a look.

Adrian