Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Backing up user data?

Quote Reply
Backing up user data?
I'd like to make a backup of all users and wondered if this is just a case of copying the contents of data > users > sitename.com ? What I would like to know is, if I ever have to reinstall Gossamer Mail, can this folder and its contents just be uploaded over the fresh install to restore the users? Or are there some other files I should copy also?

Can messages in data > msgs be backed up and restored in the same way?

Regards

Jason

Quote Reply
Re: Backing up user data? In reply to
Hello!

You were a bit faster than me. I was just about to post this.

What I suggest is that GT could easyly make generalised routines that is available to many scripts and could work harmoniously.

For e.g. Links SQL has a backup and restore routines and GMail does not have.

What is missing the much needed is more enhanced import and export routines. Its really really bad not to have them.

Further, then recent binary export from Links SQL gives a lot of troubles in integrating or importing into other programs like access.

I hope that Gmail does come out with better features that are really really primary features of the area.

Quote Reply
Any advice on this?

Regards

Jason

Quote Reply
Hi,

To backup Gossamer Mail, you should backup your data directory, and your mysql database. If you ever need to move to a new machine, it would just be a matter of installing Gossamer Mail, and moving the old data directory to the new server, and move the mysql database to the new server.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
With the mysql database, which folders exactly should be backed up? Is that GMail, GT and mysqlman under Admin?

Once backed up and should you move to a new machine, you can just FTP the entire contents of these directories over the new installation?

Regards

Jason

Quote Reply
Hi,

The safest way to copy mysql data is to use mysqldump utility. You can copy the files if you are going to a machine with similiar mysql and o/s.

But if you use mysqldump, and then mysql to restore it, it will work anywhere. Ask your ISP for assistance if you are unsure how to do this.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.