Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
BCC field
Hi,

How does GM handle mails with addresses in the bcc field ? Will they be delivered to the user, or will they be lost? (I mean user@mydomain.com in the bcc field)

Quote Reply
Re: BCC field In reply to
Hey,

If you set up a pipe to incoming.pl you can send the user name as the first argument.

Cheers,
Scott

Quote Reply
Ok.. so, in few words... Will the user receive the mail even if his address is not in the TO: or CC: field ? or if it's sent to: users@listserve.net ?

I am using another script that uses sendmail + a .forward file to pipe emails, and if the mail is not addressed to the user, it's not delivered.

Thanks,
Emilio

Quote Reply
Hi,

When you use an external program to pipe to incoming.pl it is up to the external program to find out who the email is TO. incoming.pl does not parse the email's header to find who the email is TO.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Scott

Quote Reply
Sorry to rehash this old thread, however, this is a concern and while I think I know the answer, that's on an assumption that I don't want to make. So let me phrase a question more specifically that will answer this:

If Gossamer Mail is running on gmaildomain.com and sendmail is piping to incoming.pl, and an e-mail is addressed as follows:

To: someuser@somedomain.com
Bcc: someuser@gmaildomain.com

Will someuser@gmaildomain.com receive the message? Obviously, his address, someuser@gmaildomain.com WILL NOT appear anywhere in the headers of the e-mail. I am not familiar enough with sendmails pipe to external program process to know if it pipes the entire SMTP transaction (which would include the recipients address) or just the message itself (in which case I would expect the the message would not be properly delivered).

Thanks for the response.

Quote Reply
Hi,

The answer is 'it depends'. If you are using individual pop accounts, then yes, bcc works as normal.

If you are using a catchall account, then the answer is 'maybe'.

To test, bcc a message to an email account you can check (not the same as who it's to or from). Then in the headers, many mail servers will put:

for username@domain.com

in the Received lines, or:

Delivered-To: username@domain.com

in the headers. Gossamer Mail will look in there for that information. If your mail server doesn't do this, then no, you won't be able to get BCC's.

We are planning on offering Gossamer Mail + qmail installed optimally (i.e. for large number of pop boxes) as an integrated package. This will be available end of this week, and will be priced around $1200 US including Gossamer Mail license (qmail is free software, you are paying for us to setup+integrate on your server - not a trivial task). This is only suitable for people who run dedicated servers though.

Hope that helps,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.