Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Automatic Html Mode for IE5+

Quote Reply
Automatic Html Mode for IE5+
We have noticed over the last week that not many of our users are using the HTML mode when composing. I think it's mainly due to not being the first page available for IE5 users... and users not understanding the difference. In fact, I have had to explain how to do it for 3 of our users so far.

Do you have a quick hack to make it automatically use the HTML page if a user is using IE5+?

Thanks!

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
Re: [diversity] Automatic Html Mode for IE5+ In reply to
I actually ripped it completely out of the code because since we are just about to get started with this I really didn't want to support that from a tech support perspective just yet... But it looks like from the code you could probably just remove the template compose_html.htm and replace it with compose.htm that's probably the easiest fix. there will still be links into the html editor, and if you wanted to remove all those, just do a search in your template directory for is_ie5 that'll show you everywhere the code is.
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] Automatic Html Mode for IE5+ In reply to
I think the rich message system is way cool.I don't want to rip it out... I want it to be the default!

Any suggestions for a quick browser snif so if IE5+ it shows the correct page?

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
Re: [diversity] Automatic Html Mode for IE5+ In reply to
it is pretty cool... I'm just not ready to support users on it yet with questions and such since I'm just going to be launching gmail on my site and will probably have enough to deal with... also, it gives me something to add later that gets users excited :)

I believe the default is that if they are using IE5+ and they have compose in html set up in their options, then it will automatically give them the page with the html editor, otherwise the plain page since it's not supported in other browsers/versions. That's what the if is_ie5 stuff is for. There might be something in the admin that lets you specify whether the default for users is html or text, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else will chime in.

HTH