Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Account suspended

Quote Reply
Account suspended
Hi

I opened an account at Hostrocket.com (550Megs and 20 Gig of andwidth) so that I could set up GM as a Web based email site to support my other site, but three days in my account was suspended.

Basically they said that login.cgi was using up too much server resources over 90% infact. So I am going to have to find another hosting solution or close the site without having started for now.

I was happy when GM was up and running but now I have to re-access what to do next.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hosting GM with the option to upgrade to a dedicated server?

I am disappointed Unsure

Regards

Stoosh
Quote Reply
Re: [Stoosh] Account suspended In reply to
Hi,

login.cgi? That doesn't make too much sense. What sort of traffic were you getting? How many hits to the scripts did you get?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hi

Does anyone have any recommendations for hosting GM with the option to upgrade to a dedicated server?

Stoosh

http://www.puretec.de
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Account suspended In reply to
Hi Alex!

Funny, that we were on the same thread writing the answer!

Login.cgi uses a lot of resources and also my provider complained a lot. The complain is very true. It requires a lot of resources.

Last edited by:

rajani: Apr 16, 2002, 1:58 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Account suspended In reply to
Hi,

It just seems strange to complain about login.cgi. webmail.cgi takes on average 2x longer (0.5s versus 0.25s in cgi mode on our server), and would be called a lot more often then login (as login is only called when logging in, webmail.cgi is called when a user moves throughout the program).

Often what happens is someone spams your .cgi to try and bring your site down. This could be what is happening.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Account suspended In reply to
What traffic? I hadn't even set up the templates. I was sitting at my computer configuring GM when the site was suspended. The site has not been launched, it had a under construction (holding page) until that was replaced with their site suspended page.

Am I pleased? No

All I wanted was to get this site up and running and I would have been on my way to world dominance Wink

But now it seems that is going to have to wait Unsure

Regards

Stoosh
Quote Reply
Hi,

You can get a ded server of following specs for $99/mo

400 Mhz Processor
8.5GB Hard Drive
128 MB Memory
40GB/Month Bandwidth
(additional $100 per 40GB)
Great Control Panel
Apache, DNS, Mail
Mysql, PHP4, Java Servlets
Telnet, SSHD access
Up to 255 IP Addresses
No setup fee
No long term contract

That would leave you to be your own boss....

Thnx
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Account suspended In reply to
That doesn't sound right. Who offers that?

I bet if you signed up and asked for your 255 IP's you would'nt get them.

Thats a whole class C and they cost!

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 16, 2002, 3:39 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hi,

It just seems strange to complain about login.cgi. webmail.cgi takes on average 2x longer (0.5s versus 0.25s in cgi mode on our server),

Alex

Hi Alex!

After you disagreed, I gave a thought to the scripts as I had hurriedly answered earlier.

I see why this is the case with my scripts. This is because I used my $results ..'incoming.pl' parsing within the login to avoid cron! Thats the problem. If it is not there, it would be what you said!!!

You are right.....
Quote Reply
Hi

Do you have any suggestions for hosting? I can't have purchased GM and not have anywhere to host it. I've only had it a few days and one solution has already failed, so I need as many suggestions as possilbe please.

Fortunately I only had the account open a few days so I can get my money back.

I wanted so much to have the site up and running this month.

Regards

Stoosh
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Account suspended In reply to
Hi,

I have already signed up for

Dual CPU P-III 933 Mhz, RAID 1 HDD, 2GB RAM 80GB/Mo traffic, Weekly backup and Upto 255 IP (released in lot of 32) for $300/Mo and no setup fees. This is the server where I plan to have GM 2.1 running

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi,

Well there's:

http://www.gossamerhost.com

of course. What sort of budget are you looking at?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.