Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

[BUGREPORT GMail2.0F]VerifyEmail-Problem of logic!

Quote Reply
[BUGREPORT GMail2.0F]VerifyEmail-Problem of logic!
Hello!

I have an understanding problem here on the logic of the routines.

When a user registers and with the options of send Validation email and status default Not Validated, the Validation codes is sent to the user. When the admin Validates, the code remains obsolete. The user has a chance to Login without having to insert the Validation code. This simply creates garbage in that table.

Hence, the Status of Validated could be changed by the Admin, but if the user never Validates himself whats the reason of giving a fulll status Validated functionality?

There should be a way to force a user to Validate before the First login which deletes the Validation key.

Hence the Logic should follow that if:::::::::

Should GMail send a registration email out to validate the email a user entered in the demographics section of the signup?

then, it forces the user to enter the Validation code before the first Login, regardless of the status!!!

Quote Reply
Re: [BUGREPORT GMail2.0F]VerifyEmail-Problem of logic! In reply to
Hello!

Suggestion:

If there is an additional option of "Reviewed" in addition to Validated/Not Validated option one could use as an intermidiatory routine. Admin has the choice to review and then when user inserts the Validation code it thus gets a full status of Validated!

The admin can also ofcourse choose Validated.

This discussion if for the case when the Validate email + Verify email is clicked on. Therefore Gmail will send the Validation code and wait until admin has reviewed and user Validates/Activates fully.

Without such an intermidiatory step, user could login if the admin has validated even though the Validation code was sent. (Return path does not help as many servers sends the return path as anonymous!)

Quote Reply
Hi,

We'll modify it so that users who have not validated their email don't show up in the admin validation list.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

Thanks for the reply.

But that means that the users will be bored to wait so long.

First they should fill in a form.

After, two three days they come back and fill out the Validation code. This only tells them that they have still to wait.

Then they come after two three days to be finally use the account.

My suggestion of reviewed status speaks for it, then. In the mean time the admin could review the account and give OK as reviewed for its auto-activation, if in case the user validates.

Also purge could help later. If the user did not validate within 30 or 60 days, then they could be traced and deleted.

Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

In the upgrade 2.0.1 it still shows up. Am I making some mistake or do I need to do something somewhere?

Quote Reply
Hi,

Ooops, no it didn't get fixed in 2.0.1, it's still in our bug database. We'll look at putting it in the next release.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Sorry, that this is related to Links SQL (v.1.3), but I have created a script that deletes "non-validated" accounts automatically...I don't know if this would help you or not, with the validation status problem...

Sorry to intrude, if this doesn't apply or seems like a logical solution...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hello Eliot!

Oh, thanks for your reply.

Your suggestion does not help as it relates to something esle.

But there is not one who would feel being intruded if it is for a constructed purpose.

You have been known as a great help when you are around and you does not need to even mention such things.

What would be interesting is if you could make a plug-in which could help many others.

Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

There is anathor problem not!

Status Validated does not work any more. I need to Validate from admin. Something is not correct somewhere there.

Quote Reply
Not solved till today.
Quote Reply
Hi,

This is on our todo list. The idea of validation was for paid service, where the admin would validate the user after collectin/verifying some form of payment.

This will be in a future version.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.