Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

[GMAIL 2.1.0] Spam filters does not work!

Quote Reply
[GMAIL 2.1.0] Spam filters does not work!
Hello!

Very surprising to discover that the spam filters does not work. I would like to find out if at all this is a mistake from my side.

I have blocked many domains completely from the admin spam filters and the emails still gets into the mailbox of the users. Users have complained indeed!

The format I have used is

*@*Domain.com

The note out there says that this should completely block a domain, but it does not. Shall I print the headers of some of the emails that gets through the filters?

Or should it be

*Domain.com ? OR
*Domain.com ?
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] [GMAIL 2.1.0] Spam filters does not work! In reply to
In the admin >> Spam filters, it says as follows:

Quote:
These are email addresses in the From line of incoming emails. These emails will be deleted when found.

There are couple of from headers which the From line appears. Which are the from headers that is meant here? For e.g.

Received: from mail.xxx.com (100.100.100.100) by mail.server.com with SMTP; 23

OR

Wrom: XISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQ
Quote Reply
Hi,

The global spam filters only look at From and Reply-To headers, not Received headers. Does the address appear in the From or Reply-To headers? Can you post headers of an email that is getting through and what you have entered in the spam options?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] [GMAIL 2.1.0] Spam filters does not work! In reply to
Hello Alex!

This spam is really a problem. I am taking a closer look now. as it is blasting the user, server and myself everyday.

All the filter format is *@*Domain.xxx as suggested. They are obtained from the From line of a message.

I have began studying the headers. I simply look into the trash folders of users who logged in for this reasearch. Now I have started inserting SMTP From name, to make sure that the entire mail server is blocked and not just from user field, if thats what Gmail is looking form.

Soon I will post my observation......

Purge Trash does not, for logical reasons, show links to all those messages into the trash of different users. So I have to go through Login, which is tiring, also by increasing the time value, to find out exactly which users shifted messages into the trash and how does the headers look like.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] [GMAIL 2.1.0] Spam filters does not work! In reply to
Hello Alex!

It is a bug indeed.

I am sending you a text file by email with a list of settings and the full headers. Have a look.

What about a suggestion:

Instead of *@*Domain.com

*Domain.com

Why do we requite *@ before. A star shall include in it?

Ofcourse, here there seems to be a problem into the pattern matching and parsing.
Quote Reply
>>
Instead of *@*Domain.com

*Domain.com

Why do we requite *@ before. A star shall include in it?
<<

*@*domain is more flexible than *domain. It allows you to block/allow specific addresses and subdomains.