Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Development, Plugins and Globals :

how to use Auth_POP3 module

Quote Reply
how to use Auth_POP3 module
Expanding on what Jack said, if you install the Auth_POP3 plugin, then you just specify the domains you want to handle under Setup->Incoming Email->Individual mode. Now, when a user goes to the login prompt and enters a username/password, if that username/pass is a valid POP account, then it lets the user login and uses that POP account as the users mailbox.

edit: detached thread

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Last edited by:

Alex: Oct 19, 2002, 1:18 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] how to use pop In reply to
Ahhhh ok. Couple more questions on it, and could you clarify if I'm thinking right...

1. If someone has a pop account with an isp, and they want to check their account, they can log in using "my" webmail service and check their account. ie. When they log in it essentially checks their mailbox at the isp and just uses that as their mailbox etc.

2. In this case, would the user need to have an account on any of my domains, or is it seperate of this?

3. Would I need to list the isp domain in my list of domains?

Still not 100% on how/when you'd use it!

Thanks,
R.
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] how to use pop In reply to
Hi,

1. Only if you have their email addresses domain name setup under Setup->Incoming Email->Individual modes. Any other email addressess/domains won't work.

2. No, it's separate. It means you don't have any accounts, you are just providing a web front end to access existing accounts.

3. Yes!

This is useful for existing companies/universites/isp's to provide web access to an existing set of pop boxes. i.e. they don't want the signup features, they just want their users to be able to access the email remotely. You tell Gossamer Mail what domains you want to allow, and then users can put in valid email logins and access their mail for those domains.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
HI Alex,

Yip - that makes sense!

A couple more questions for you though! Smile

1. If I install the plugin and add domains under setup under Setup->Incoming Email->Individual modes, will the extra domains automatically be added to the pulldown list on the login page?

2. Do all the webmail functions work the same for the accounts? - ie. create folders, filters etc etc etc.

3. Are the logins temporary? Or is data stored on my system somewhere (in relation to the above with folders etc).

4. If they're just loggin in with no account, does the user have the ability to 'leave mail on server'? Or is this an system wide setting in the admin?

Thanks!

Regan.
Quote Reply
Hi,

1. Yes, but it is an all or nothing deal. Any existing accounts won't be able to login as the user/pass check is now checking against a pop server, not your current user list.

2. Yes, all the same.

3. Yes, the logins are temporary, each time you login it checks it against the pop server (so you don't need to keep the pop server/gossamer mail accounts in sync).

4. I'm not sure what you mean here?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
hi alex,

Quote:
1. Yes, but it is an all or nothing deal. Any existing accounts won't be able to login as the user/pass check is now checking against a pop server, not your current user list.

so if I'm currently using a single catch-all account with my users, and then install this plugin, you're saying that my catchall won't work any more? The decision to install needs to be made when you're first setting up the system? I can see it would probably work ok if you were using the single pop account per user setup from the beginning.

Quote:
3. Yes, the logins are temporary, each time you login it checks it against the pop server (so you don't need to keep the pop server/gossamer mail accounts in sync).

So the user would have a "space" created for them on my server, where it would hold their message, folder and filter information etc, but no actual "mail" account on my server. My GM install would basically turn into a collection point for any user with a pop account somewhere else (or an actual pop account on my server).

Quote:
4. I'm not sure what you mean here?

When you pop a mailbox you can usually set if you want to delete the mail off the server or leave it there. I wasn't sure how they'd set this if they didn't have a GM account, but they sort of do so that answers this question anyhow I think - it would just be one of the settings.

Regan.
Quote Reply
Hi Regan,

1. Correct. The Auth_POP3 module assumes each user has an individual pop account exactly like individual mode. All it's doing is removing the signup/user management features from Gossamer Mail, and saying if the user has a valid pop account, let them in. It's designed under the assumption you already have something else setup to create/delete/change pass of pop accounts.

2. Correct, the actual pop account can be on any machine. It's only going to allow emails at the domains you specified though (so it's not like anybody can use it to check email). Gossamer Mail will store their preferences, filters, etc, locally.

4. Yes, if you goto Setup->Incoming Email->Individual, you can specify what the default option is, leave mail on server, remove mail, or let the user choose.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Lovely - no more questions! Wink

Thanks,

Regan.