Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Vbulletin help!!
I've been using Gossamer Mail and Vbulletin together for well over a year now, kind of works ok. I updated my Vbull to 3.0.1, but now Gossamer Mail plugin in doens't work ... I NEED a 3.0 plugin in or help please!!!
Quote Reply
Re: [p3rfect] Vbulletin help!! In reply to
We are in the same boat. Want to upgrade our forums but waiting for the vb3.0 plugin to be available. Any news as to when it will be available?

Last edited by:

shalliday: May 15, 2004, 5:43 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [shalliday] Vbulletin help!! In reply to
I have no idea. I would be suprised if one was actually made, but there you go. I had hoped it would have been simple enough to do myself so I upgraded to 3.01 last night (that's a doddle you will be pleased to learn). However, when I tried to run login.cgi it came up with an error; cannot find admin/config.php. That's fine because VB3 now has it's config file in includes/ not admin/... so I ftped into the server and manually edited /var/www/cgi-bin/admin/Plugins/GMail/Auth_VBulletin.pm to point to the correct config file. I expected that to be it. But now I get:

A fatal error has occured:
Can't connect(DBI::DBNAME:localhost USERNAME PASSWORD), no database driver specified and DBI_DSN env var not set at /var/www/cgi-bin/admin/Plugins/GMail/Auth_VBulletin.pm line 295

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.

This worried me because I have no idea about database drivers... Plus, the script was freely advertising my database name, username and password!! I renamed all the files and now I am asking for help.

I concidered removing the plugin altogether so that at least my users would be able to login albeit without Vbulletin Auth, but it asked me if I wanted to do a full de-install or skip - I decided this looked to risky to decide and knowing my luck I would have lost the entire DB lol

Anyway, someone help us two out please!! I'm sure we aren't the only ones, and VB3 is now the best forum on the block as far as I am concerned, so don't loose the battle to Hivemail get a plugin out!
Quote Reply
I hope that Alex and company do upgrade their existing VB Pluggin so it works with VB30. I am counting on it. I too have to stay with VB to remain abreast with my competitors. I selected LinksSQL and GMail because they are both excellent products but also because of the integration with the VB database. All of the other products we use integrate with VB and there other software vendors always make it a priority to ensure their integration modules remain current with vb. I sure hope Gossamer will do the same. There are plenty of other gossamer sites like us that use VB as their forums that require the same integration and their are a huge number of VB sites that would consider Gossamer products providing these plugins are provided. I guess we have to wait and see.

Last edited by:

shalliday: May 15, 2004, 6:53 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Unfortunately, we don't have a vBulletin license, so I can't test the changes, but could you try this modified Auth_VBulletin.pm?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Vbulletin help!! In reply to
Thanks Brewt I tried that.

What happens now:

join.cgi -> redirects to VB3 login page
webmail.cgi -> redirects to VB3 login page
logout.cgi -> redirects to VB3 login page

register.cgi -> ("registration not enabled") Asks you to login...
login.cgi -> Asks you to login...

Now, if you try and login with login.cgi and a bogus username/password you get "Authentication Error Invalid login or password" wish makes me think it is addressing the VB3 DB correctly :) However, if you do the same on register.cgi it redirects you to the vb3 login page.

If you use a correct username and password on either login.cgi or register.cgi you are redirected to the VB3 login page...

Also, I tried logging into the VB3 forums and then running webmail.cgi; in this case you are redirected to the VB3 forum (logged in).

So it looks a bit better, and might actually be working; i'll have a better look now, but in the meantime maybe you can spot a problem from my post.

Many thanks,
Nic

P.s.
http://www.nightmaresonwax.com/_php/forum/
http://www.nightmaresonwax.net/...bin/user/webmail.cgi

See for yourself.

** QUICK UPDATE **
I changed "redirect_error" in the GM Admin Panel to _webmailfail.php and created a dummy page on the server.

Now:

logout.cgi, join.cgi & webmail.cgi all redirect to _webmailfail.php.

login.cgi
-> The first time you try and login in with either a correct or incorrect login it always comes back as "Invalid login or password".
-> The second time you try and login in with either a correct or incorrect login it always redirects to _webmailfail.php.

** HOPE THIS HELPS **

Last edited by:

p3rfect: May 16, 2004, 8:08 AM
Quote Reply
Anyone? I spent a fortune on this software. If you can't help me out then I won't be throwing good money after bad I will look else where, natably Hive mail which has an excellent reputation and a massive amount of support.
Quote Reply
Could you try this one? If this doesn't work, could you send an email to support with login system information so that we can see what changes have been made?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Adrian concidering you have never seen a VB3 script or database I am rather impressed with you lol

Here's what happens now:

When not logged in the forum
webmail.cgi -> _webmailfail.php (as it should)
logout.cgi -> _webmailfail.php (as it should)
register.cgi -> "Registration not enabled" please login (as it should, but this page should be hidden anyway)
join.cgi - > _webmailfail.php (as it should, should be hidden?)

When logged in the forum
webmail.cgi -> Authenticates and enters Inbox (as it should) :)
logout.cgi -> Goes to my Logout page (as it should)
register.cgi -> "Registration not enabled" please loging (as it should, but this page should be hidden anyway)
join.cgi - > _webmailfail.php (as it should, should be hidden?)

So that all looks totally spot on! Thanks!

One thing though I have forgotten how new users sign up for a new mail account. For example, I signed up for a VB3 user account that ran the webmail.cgi script. Shouldn't this automatically redirect to a "new user" signup form? I honestly cannot remember!!

P.s. shalliday you will be pleased to hear that this is nearly 100% working.
Quote Reply
Quote:
One thing though I have forgotten how new users sign up for a new mail account. For example, I signed up for a VB3 user account that ran the webmail.cgi script. Shouldn't this automatically redirect to a "new user" signup form? I honestly cannot remember!!

If the user doesn't have a Gossamer Mail account, then it will bring up the vb_sign_in.htm page.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Ahhh the vital missing ingredient! Actually it was my fault I had not been clearing my cookies - manually clearing them every time I logged in as a different user corrected the problem, everything is up and running now you the maaaaan!!!

By the way is there any point upgrading to the latest version or indeed can I? I'm not even sure if I am still entitled to free upgrades.
Quote Reply
See:

http://gossamer-threads.com/.../webmail/pricing.htm

or you could always talk to Jack about it.

You should also take a look at the Gossamer Mail announcements for the changes which have been made since your release.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Ok and thanks for all your help!
Quote Reply
I've repackaged the plugin with these changes (with a few small changes) and it is now available in the plugin download manager.

Adrian