Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer List : Pre Sales :

G List with GT Community and LinksSQL

Quote Reply
G List with GT Community and LinksSQL
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to get and idea what advantages there are in using GT list with GT Community and LinksSQL compared to using the LinkSQL plug-in. This would be based on what it could bring to a LinksSQL set-up from an integration point of view ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] G List with GT Community and LinksSQL In reply to
Hi,

Currently there is not much in the way of integration between the products. i.e. you can't pull content from Links SQL into Gossamer List. There is Community integration such that a user can pick from their community profile which lists they want to subscribe to (as well as during signup), but that's the extent.

The advantadges would be that Gossamer List has a lot more features for sending out mailings such as: html mail support, bounce tracking, open-mail tracking, click-through tracking, scheduled mailings, etc.

We are looking at some of the more common ways people might want to integrate the products, and are of course available for custom work if you need any integration done.

Hope that helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] G List with GT Community and LinksSQL In reply to
Oh, is it more geared towards integrating with the forum ?

Are you going to offer out of the box support for the other GT products in the next versions or is this something that is only available through customization ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Hi,

No, Gossamer List is a stand-alone product, and is designed for people who want to send out one-way mailings/announcements to their customers.

We do plan on providing some form of integration with our products (i.e. being able to generate newsletters based on Links SQL listings), but nothing definite yet and it would depend on customer demand. The extent of the integration is that it will integrate with Community and let logged in Community users subscribe/unsubscribe from various lists that are setup. Content-generation isn't there yet though.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] G List with GT Community and LinksSQL In reply to
Hi Alex,

When looking at the newsletter plug-in and G List I'm not really sure which is going to "evolve", as you seem to put it, towards a product that has the mailing list advantages and will enable me to refer to LinksSQL.

I'm geared towards a magazine type usage of LinksSQL and I don't really see the point of publishing a full article that would be on the site. However being able to have say the title, author and short description (say first paragraph or even more specifically a short description that would be a field of the link) to incite a newsletter reader to come to see the article seems a big advantage.

I'd see the newsletter as the editorial at the beginning of the magazine that trys to explain the months themes and interesting new content but that would mean being able to link to some of the content on the site.

I'd like to have an idea of which of the LinksSQL plug-in or Gossamer List will provide me with a closer match to what I'm looking for or moreover which is most likely to evolve towards this ?

I hope I've been clear enough...

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
I had GT do a custom job for me that does something similar with GList and GForum....I suppose that LinksSQL could be used instead. We had similar desires....transform a magazine like newsletter into a post one-at-a-time articles with the ability for GF members to comment back on GForum and have a HTML email subscription service open to the public (our GForum is not open to the public).

I don't know how involved the custom work was, so I don't know if it could be a plugin or not. Aki did this for us and am very happy with the result. We are just now launching this. http://www.pecupdate.org . Still doing a tiny bit of bug fixing, but pretty much done.

I hope this helps.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] G List with GT Community and LinksSQL In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for your response that looks very interesting. I'll try contacting GT staff about the possibilities of using GList in a magazine type newsletter system for LinkSQL.

Looks interesting what you've done. I'm sure you'll have many happy users to come Wink

Thanks, John
Significant Media