Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer List : Pre Sales :

Discussion Mailing List?

Quote Reply
Discussion Mailing List?
Hi,

Can the GList be used as discussion mailing list (moderated/unmoderated) also?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [ghen] Discussion Mailing List? In reply to
Hi,

No, I'm afraid not. Gossamer List is designed as an announcement/newsletter list, and does not accept incoming mail.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Discussion Mailing List? In reply to
If I might add something here....

I was one of the beta sites in GList's development. I paid Gossamer Threads (GT) write a plugin (I think Stone actually wrote it) that would allow a certain amount of this kind of function. My goal was to use GList as a re-mailer or mail forwarding mechanism. Our groups maintains several different mailing lists and he wrote it such that you could mail to an account (POP3) and GList would sweep that account and forward to the mailing list assigned to that POP3 account. Kinda like Mailarc in GForum, but instead posting an email to a forum, this MailArc sends the message out to a GList mail group.

I can see how this could work as a discussion list (like MajorDomo, etc.). But that's not what I wanted. Maybe this could be modified (by you or possibly GT for a fee Wink) to provide the functionality you desire.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Discussion Mailing List? In reply to
Well, that is strange. I mean this is what it should be all about: You should really enable that users (!) can run their own discussion lists!!!

For further recommendations check out:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=255010
Quote Reply
Re: [Steve1] Discussion Mailing List? In reply to
Hi,

You really want a different type of software to manage discussion lists, then for announcement/one-way lists. i.e. Gossamer Lists supports such features as read mail tracking (percent of people who read the email), click tracking (how many people click on links in your mailing), etc. For regular discussion list software, I'd recommend looking at ezmlm or mailman.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.