Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

widgetz.com

Quote Reply
widgetz.com
haha.. someone bought the domain just as it expired..

i'm trying to get a whois on it.. but networksolutions.com doesn't return anything (because it wasn't registered there)..

looks like the site is running jsp or asp of a directory script.. so i don't think any of you bought it..

anyone know how i can get a whois? i'm sort of interested who got it.. their copyright is ult. search, inc.

sorry off topic

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks
Quote Reply
Re: widgetz.com In reply to
it takes a few days for the whois databases to be updated.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Jerry
I got this from another source.

widgetz.com
Ult. Search Inc. (WIDGETZ-COM-DOM)
Suites 1601-1603, 16F, 32 Hollywood Road
Central, HK
HK

Domain Name: WIDGETZ.COM

Administrative Contact:
DNS Support (DS2313-BR) dns@ultsearch.com
Ult. Search Inc.
Central, HK
HK
Phone- 852 2537 9677
Fax-
Technical Contact:
DNS Support (DS2313-BR) dns@ultsearch.com
Ult. Search Inc.
Central, HK
HK
Phone- 852 2537 9677
Fax-

Record updated on 2000-11-06.
Record created on 2000-11-06.
Record expires on 2001-11-06.
Database last updated on 2000-12-08 20:49:11 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.ULTSEARCH.COM 202.84.198.59
NS2.ULTSEARCH.COM 212.100.224.102

http://www.sfahq.com
Phil the FOG
Quote Reply
hong kong.. hehehe

ultsearch.com is password protected..

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks
Quote Reply
I go to HK quite often. Maybe next time I'm there, I'll just stop by and knock on the door :)

Quote Reply
OK.....so why is it ok for Jerry to post a COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC post and create an OFF TOPIC thread...and yet if anyone else did it they would get abuse from everyone?

Thanks
Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
sorry.. but your post is a bit off topic.. :P

i was just wondering which one of you guys took widgetz.com cause no one knew about it except for you guys.. i bought it to post code and stuff but its been two long years and i let that one go and got other domains.. also.. i thought the site was running links 2/sql at first.. but i guess not

off topic? yes..

anyways.. i'm on vacation and celebrating with early christmas gifts.. 3 very good ones so far.. (cable modem getting installed on 12/23, athlon 900 desktop computer, and pentium III 750 laptop computer).. my dad went on some sort of shopping spree.. new job or something..

have fun asking the same question over again

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks
Quote Reply
Cable modem?....on the 23rd Dec....you must have a good phone company!

Im getting a 1000mhz Athlon for Xmas...even though Im buying it myself! :-)

Paul Wilson. Shocked
(Dont blame me if I'm wrong!)
Quote Reply
this will be my last night on my crummy 56k modem :)

well.. the only place i know of that installs cable is AT&T.. we're getting AT&T @Home cable.. (formerly Excite).. the 23rd of december isn't a holiday yet.. its just the day before christmas eve.. their installing it at 8:00 in the morning so they probably get the whole afternoon off or something..

i'll finally have an internet connection that adds a tagline to all of my outgoing mail ;)

oh ya.. to give you an idea of how fast your athlon will go.... when you power on the monitor and the desktop at the same time... the time it takes for the monitor to load before you see a picture.. is how long it takes Windows to boot.. so pretty much.. the first thing you see on your monitor after the 10 seconds of blackness is the login screen :)

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks
Quote Reply
Whoah......thats pretty fast!!!

Im just hoping that its worth the money coz Im gonna have none left after I buy it!

What download/upload speeds can you get with your cable modem?....and if you dont mind me asking how much will it cost you?

I live in the UK so I have to wait a while bfore I can get it! :-(

Paul Wilson. Shocked
Quote Reply
Some comments about cable vs DSL.

My father has a cable modem, in an upper class neighborhood (I would consider it). I have a DSL connection in one of the surrounding Pittsburgh neighborhoods (I'd say in Pittsburgh, but I'm not in the down town, and those who don't know the city might assume it's a "business" district, when this is really a neighborhood/residential area).

Anyway... I have the basic DSL connection -- 640/90.

Over all, my performance is faster/better than the cable modem.

At times, the cable modem is much, much faster, when it gets the full bandwidth, but usually it has to share with the neighborhood, so everyone in the subdivision shares the same pipes and switches.

I'm guaranteed my bandwidth at any given point in time. The cable modem can give "more" but it's not guaranteed at any given point in time.

Also, because cable is a shared system, firewall protection on individual machines is more of a concern, since there is a "cloud" of people sharing the same connection. On the DSL, I have my own phone number, my own switch, my own IP, and my own connection.

Actually, in my location I can go up to the level 3 DSL, which is something like 7,000/640, but I really don't need it :) For $40/month I'm happy with the basics, and the $180/month is unnecessary. That level would be great once the kids start using a computer more, but they are still too young.

FWIW... I love the DSL line. I would consider a cable modem/etc if it tied into my multimedia home-theater system in some way -- and with ATT taking over TCI, that may happen. (Not that Ihave a home theater :() anyway... I still like the DSL line on the computer.

If you have a choice, seriously consider DSL.

Also, in this area our phone service is _much_ more reliable than the cable service :)

PUGDOGŪ
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
And for rural areas...satellite will become an attractive option in the near future...Cable Modem operators tend not to service rural areas. And CO (Central Offices) for DSL are too far away for DSL...however, some telecos are working on DSL Lite that will be a merger of ISDN and DSL technologies.

But for people in rural communities, like me, two-way (download/upload) satellite connections will be very attractive in the near future...not to mention wireless solutions...

Just thought I would broaden the context to address needs of rural communities.

See ya.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Well I live in the UK and Cable/DSL/ADSL connections are only just being introduced here and it costs around $60/month!

Pugdog...can I ask you a question...?
I visited your site the other day (postcards.com) and you say that youve had offers of over $200,000 for the domain name......HOW can you resist selling?.....I would have snapped their hand off for $500 nevermind almost 1/4 million!

You must be rich or have the willpower of......erm.....something with a lot of willpower! :)

Anyway....Im sick of this darn 56k modem.....I get a transfer rate of about 5k max at the moment using a 350mhz Pentium II so I hope that my new 1000mhz Pentium III will give me an extra 1k or so.

Is that possible?

Bye..

....WOW I just found the pleasures of gator.com.....pretty good idea I think...It saves me having to remember passwords and logs me straight into all password protected areas.

Paul Wilson. Shocked
Quote Reply
if you use netscape 6.. it remembers all your passwords.. better than gator.. because it doesn't have the occasional ad popup..

oh btw.. the cable guy couldn't install cable on my computer.. we have four computers and 1 laptop.. my computer runs Windows NT and the hardware is rather old (amd k6-2).. we are going to buy either a new workstation (intel Xeon 866) or an Athlon 1.1 ghz and get cable installed on that.. we can't get cable installed on our athlon 900 because my sister is taking that to college with her.. and our pentium III 500 cause we can't network the cable with that computer.. and the fourth computer is a amd k6.. so its really old and slow.. but we have linux on it.. the laptop is faster than my computer :) [pentium III 700] but you can't install cable on laptops..

so i have to wait until January 1st when my dad decides to buy the workstation or the athlon 1.1ghz..

about speeds of cable and dsl.. my city doesn't have a pacific bell Central Office so all our DSL subscribers rely on one pretty far from here.. the farther away from a CO you are, the slower your connection..

i have 3 friends with DSL.. my street doesn't have DSL so I had to go with cable.. but when getting their opinions on DSL vs Cable they said cable.. supposedly DSL has a better constant speed than Cable and is more reliable.. however uploads on DSL can only get up the same speed as uploads on a 56k (generally 5k per second).. Occasionally speeds can be erratic.. you can be downloading at 15k per second or 150k per second even from the same server..

Cable.. tends to become slower during the daytime but never slower than 20k per second.. can max out to 200k per second late at night.. and on average is around 60k per second.. the only times cable comes to a 'crawl' is when they are having networking problems.. and as time goes on.. they are having less problems.. my friends used to have a backup dialup to connect to when their cable was down.. and at one time.. the cable service provided a backup dialup (AT&T worldnet).. but now they say problems occur for about 15 minutes at the max and like once every 3 weeks..

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks
Quote Reply
Is that all?....In the UK, ADSL is just being introduced and BT claims that is can reach download speeds of 1.5MBPS and upload speeds of 500KBPS.

I though cable modems were about that speed to!

I'd get the Athlon 1.1ghz.....workstations are so much more expensive and arent necessary unless you are using it for powerful software or for business.

Paul Wilson. Shocked
Quote Reply
there are different kinds of DSL.. ADSL costs the most.. the DSL i'm talking about is the DSL anyone can get.. it costs $39.95 a month.. cable is also $39.95 a month.. i heard its a T3 networked to many many people.. if thats the case than at school its similar.. at school if you went on during lunch or something.. it'd go like 15k.. after school (i stayed to 6:00 pm one day doing a project).. it goes over 300k.. but our school only has a T1.. so its supposedly 30x slower than a T3..

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks
Quote Reply
deleted.. hehe the domains went fast!
Quote Reply
ADSL stands for ASYNC, meaning downloads are faster than uploads. My downloads are 64kbps and I average over 60 on downloads from most major sites. Even slow sites or bad ISP's I get over 30. uploads, though, are only 9kbs, or not quite double a 56k modem, which often averages _only_ between 33.8 and 48.8 actual connects (in the real world).

My DSL through BellAtlantic has been as reliable as anything, and up/down speeds have consistently been on-target for coming on 2 years now.

For those who like the big numbers, ADSL's 1st tier is 640k downloads, 90k uploads.

I'm close enough to the CO to get Tier 3 if I want it -- 7.2mbps ;) But it's not worth the $189/month. At one time, not so long ago, I was paying 10x that a month for connections and service, and now I'm down to $50/month or about. (Of course I was running a multi-line bbs at the time).

PUGDOGŪ

Quote Reply
why do uploads have to be slower? is it on purpose?

i think it has something to do with not allowing you to become a server or allow people to download files from your computer.. (like napster type stuff)

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
ADSL stands for ASYNC, meaning downloads are faster than uploads.
ADSL stands for Assymetric Digital Subscriber Line. Shocked

Paul Wilson. Shocked
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
is it on purpose?
Yes...the logic you've presented is close...many telecos and DSL providers use "cost-savings" mechanisms with DSL technology...this is also the same for other "DSL" versions like VDSL (Video Digital Subscriber Line).

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Sorry, I retyped that 3 times, with the kids bothering me, and still got it wrong.

PUGDOGŪ

Quote Reply
My Son and I both have Cable modems on our LapTops, We use an ethernet card (Just like a modem card but ethernet), you should have a slot for it, The Cable Company Guy (Time Warner Road Runner) charged us $50.00 each.

http://www.sfahq.com
Phil the FOG
Quote Reply
i already have a network among 4 computers (3 desktops and 1 laptop).. will the cable guy charge me? i thought he only charges you if you tell him you want the hardware.. i'll just tell him i'm sharing the printer or something

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks