Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

search.cgi problem

Quote Reply
search.cgi problem
I recently upgraded mySQL from version from 3.22 to 3.23, after which my search function on my site does not return any links for any searches. (Error: No matching links.) everything else seems to be working just fine. has anyone evercome accross this problem before, and if you have what did you do to correct the problem.
I have made sure that each field has a weight.
If i use search-ni.cgi it seems to work fine. I have also uploaded search.cgi again to see if i somehow was corrupt, but that was not the case I am still recieving no results.

Thanks in advance

Quote Reply
Re: search.cgi problem In reply to
Have you rebuilt the indexes?

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
he's right.. reindex your database.. if thats not it.. don't forget that your index weights need to be adjusted to what you want.. if they are all 0.. then search.cgi won't search under anything.. returning no matches all the time..

to change index weights.. you use the table editor (or whatever that thing is called).. to edit table definitions.. editor.cgi... (memory of links sql fading)

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks
Quote Reply
Mel at gossamer wrote a mod for my search to randomize results, that seems to have fixed my search problem but raised a bunch more.

1. Subcategories are showing on search results but not when you enter through a category.

2. When trying to delete a record I am getting the error: " No matching records found" even though they are in the database.

3. Link total for category is not correct:
ex. Automotive(20), though i have over 100 links in that category.

4. error while trying to re-index:
1110 1120 1130 1140 1150 1160 1170 1180 1190 1200
1210 1220 1230 1240 1250 1260 1270 1280 1290 1300
Out of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
Search (4860): Couldn't update men
Content-type: text/html

<H1>Software error:</H1>
<CODE>Search (4860): Fatal: Couldn't update men at Links/DBSQL.pm line 1601
</CODE>
<P>
For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message
and the time and date of the error.
;
[Tue Dec 19 19:37:44 2000] nph-index.cgi: Search (4860): Fatal: Couldn't update
men at Links/DBSQL.pm line 1601

It seems to always crash right at 1300 links.

any help will be greatly appriciated :)

Quote Reply
what'd he tell you to change?

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks
Quote Reply
These Changes were made to Links.pm:

# The default sort orders for links.
#$LINKS{build_sort_order_category} = "isNew,isPopular,Title";
#$LINKS{build_sort_order_new} = "Add_Date,Title";
#$LINKS{build_sort_order_cool} = "Title";
#$LINKS{build_sort_order_search} = "isNew,isPopular,Title";
$LINKS{build_sort_order_category} = "Rand()";
$LINKS{build_sort_order_new} = "Add_Date,Title";
$LINKS{build_sort_order_cool} = "Title";
$LINKS{build_sort_order_search} = "Rand()";

Also there were changes to search.cgi but I have just replaced both search.cgi and Links.pm with the originals and I am still recieving the errors that I mentioned in my second post, so I guess the problems where there before any modifications to search.cgi was ever made.

Thanks hope that makes sense :)

Quote Reply
urgh.. i haven't used Links SQL enough to understand much of it.. hopefully someone that does understand it can help you.. i haven't even got a single clue on that update men thing.. i probably never used the version of Links SQL that you use.. i stopped using Links SQL at version 1.11..

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks
Quote Reply
Before driving yourself crazy, run isamchk with the -a option.

If you are hosted by an ISP who manages your MySQL database, ask them to check the integrety of your database.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Thanks pugdog and everyone else that has replied. I did find out what the problem was with the help of Mel at gossamer. I wanted a mod to randomize links on rebuild and search results, I was told by the staff at gossamer that this would be easier if i would upgraded MySQL to the latest version (3.23), thats when I started having all the problems. I converted back to MySQL 3.22 and all my troubles disappeared. I applaud the staff at gossamer, they stuck with me untill this problem was solved and was in constant contact with me about it. 2 thumbs up for gossamer for getting me up and going, and writing the mod for randomization on such short notice.

Rene Rodriguez