Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

page.cgi & SSI exec commands...

Quote Reply
page.cgi & SSI exec commands...
Hi I'm setting up banner rotations and active.cgi (from UBB) to be included in side bars on my site, the problem is that they use the exec command to include them, and they don't function when the page is built on the fly, is there a mod for Templates.pm that will differentiate between the usage of <%include 'filename'%> and <%exec 'filename'%> and use the parse routine to check wether it is being used by page.cgi in order to `<%filename%>`; (Run the script)?
Quote Reply
Re: page.cgi & SSI exec commands... In reply to
Well I found a way around it...it isn't necessarily the best route but I guess it will do.

I duplicated the HTML_Templates.pm file calling it HTML_Fly_Templates.pm and renamed the package, then changed the reference in page.cgi from HTML_Templates.pm to HTML_Fly_Templates.pm, this way it uses all the same stuff so there aren't a lot of modifications to make. I just have to maintain an additional 8 template files, which considering the benefits of providing upto the minute includes on the static site as opposed to includes that are as old as the last time the site was built, it is worth it.

I haven't figured out a solution for the exec command for on the fly pages, but I'll just have to create the appropriate output into a file to be included rather than executed.
Quote Reply
Actually, at this stage of product development, your solution is _probably_ the easiest and best.

In the next release -- or two -- there might be other solutions, as the 'dynamic' support is improved and other features are added in and finalized.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply...I am glad to hear I figured out _probably_ the esiest & best solution without any help. On another topic you seem to be quite comfortable with LinkSQL have you tried adding fields to the User Table and pass them around with page.cgi for user customization of site? Is this a difficult procedure?
Quote Reply
I haven't played with that, since I don't have the user features all enabled. Widgetz has been doing some work with that, and I think new features are coming out in the next release that will make some of the various parts make sense.

I really bit off more than I could chew the past few weeks, and I'm just starting to catch up a bit.

Once things settle down, user features are the next step -- and trying to integrate the various user databases in the various programs into one system.