Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

links owners mass mailing

Quote Reply
links owners mass mailing
Hi,
We were playing around with the mass mailing part of links sql, and after sending in debug mode we were shown the following:

have been sent to 'webmaster@sarasotafamilyhomes.com'
7 - Message would have been sent to 'lisatewell@hotmail.com'
8 - Message would have been sent to 'wmi@wmi.org'
9 - Already mailed to: 'wmi@wmi.org'!
10 - Message would have been sent to 'WMI@WMI.ORG'

It would appear that the massmailer doesn't differentiate between case in the email address's. Hence wmi@wmi.org to the script is not the same as WMI@WMI.ORG, how do we fix this.

"I've got if's pretty good, but that's about it"
Quote Reply
Re: links owners mass mailing In reply to
As pugdog mentioned to me a few weeks ago...it is best to set up error checking early in the submission process, like at the point that the user submits a link. You should add lc codes in the add.cgi and modify.cgi if you are not going to be using the user.cgi to have users first register to your site to add links. There are email address checking codes in the user.cgi script that you could use in the above mentioned scripts as well as in the nph-email.cgi as a double error check measure.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks, Elliot, Unfortunately we get most of our links from our desktop spider, which is a windoze program that metacrawls the web and then converts the spider database into a links database, that we then import into the validate database. So.....

Im still wondering if there is something in the email script that I can put that will make it ignore case and count them as the same.

Thanks for your time
Harrison

"I've got if's pretty good, but that's about it"
Quote Reply
Like I mentioned, there are error checking codes for email addresses in the user.cgi in the signup_user subroutine, that you could probably adapt in the nph-email.cgi file or better yet, include the codes in the admin.cgi in the validate_record routine that will check for email formats and duplicates in the database since you are using Spider Pro.

Regards,

Eliot Lee