Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

import .tab file problems

Quote Reply
import .tab file problems
Hello all,

Well i am still stuck on importing a .tab (tab delimiter and field " ") file. Any know how to do this ? Shall i use editor.cgi import or mysqlman and with what options ?

If i try to import the .tab file in MSAccess 2000 the database is ok but i can't import the same file in mysql links database.

Hope any can help me with this i am stuck for about 2 weeks now and have to get the job done by tommorrow :)..

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: import .tab file problems In reply to
Hi,

I also had a problem importing files with a delimiter other than '|'. I used my editor to search and replace.

give it a try..

regards, alexander

Quote Reply
Hello Alexander,

What do i have to search and replace ? Which editor you use btw, i wanna replace new lines with ~~ (mysql newline is ~~ i think) but i don't know a good editor which can replace 2 [HRT] (new lines) signs into ~~.

BTW i have a MsAccess 2000 database file, but export from MSAaccess to .tab or .txt with | delimieter don't work ok (a bug i quess) because i have blob (memo) fields.

What i did is copy table in MS Access 2000 to Excel 2000 and export it to a .tab (tab delimiter) file then the export file is 'ok'. The exported file size is 1,3MB.

But how to import a tab delimiter file to mylinks table Links or how to change 2 [HRT]'s to ~~. Or how to export a file fromMS ACCESS with delimiter |...

You know i have a lot off problems only because that damm MS Access 2000 can't export right, it has a major bug in it....

Well i hope you can point my in the good way :)..

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Hi,

use the excel function export with ; as a csv file. Then use Ultraedit to search for ; and replace with |

that worked for me,
regards, Alexander

Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply Alexander !!

Only problem i still have is that 1 record is not on 1 line. So i have to do search and replace on 2 newlines and replace it with ~~ i quess. Can ultraedit do that too and where to download it ?

Btw: What if some data in a field allready contains ; ?

Last question: how did you import the data with editor.cgi and import or mysqlman ?

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Hi,

if your data already contains a ; search and replace it with an other char or combination like 'ê#' in excel before exporting. Then after export replace the ';' with '|' and the 'ê#' with ;

I saved the .csv file and uploaded it in my admin dir. Then I used editor.cgi and imported it as a file.

have a look at http://www.ultraedit.com

regards, alexander

Quote Reply
Thanks Alexander,

I will manually edit the file with ultraedit. It's going fine now..

Regards Startpoint.