Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

detailed view question

Quote Reply
detailed view question
Hello all,

I used pugdog fix in html_template.pl.
( detailed_url => "$LINKS{build_detail_url}/${$rec}{'ID'}$LINKS{build_extension}",)

When i use detailed view i put this line in my links.html.

Code is in links.html, template av:
<b><a class="link" href="page.cgi?g=/Detailed/<%ID%>.html&t=av&d=1"></b>

It is <b>working</b> but i have some questions:

- If i don't use d=1 then it also works but what does it do, should i use it or not ?

- Now i don't use jump.cgi, but i wanna use the hits counter (in database links) if a dynamic detailed page is viewed. What is the best way to do this ? Does jump.cgi call page.cgi somehow ?

- Why don't i have to use the variable <%db_cgi_url%> in the link.html like Alex told (see url below), if i use the variable it won't work, is this because the fix i use or something else ?

(http://gossamer-threads.com/perl/forum/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=LSQLDisc&Number=68834&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post68834)

If i use this code it don't work:
<b><a class="link" href="<%db_cgi_url%>/page.cgi?g=/Detailed/<%ID%>.html&t=av&d=1"></b>

Allready thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: detailed view question In reply to
In Reply To:
- If i don't use d=1 then it also works but what does it do, should i use it or not ?
d stands for dynamic and 1 means to turn it on. It is my understanding that it is used to pull user data and other dynamic information into web pages within your directory when you use page.cgi.

In Reply To:
- Now i don't use jump.cgi, but i wanna use the hits counter (in database links) if a dynamic detailed page is viewed. What is the best way to do this ? Does jump.cgi call page.cgi somehow ?
Actually, it is the opposite. Page.cgi calls jump.cgi when you click on links. What you should do is use jump.cgi to update Hits for your detailed pages and change the $goto redirection codes in jump.cgi to go to the detailed pages. This has been discussed before in this forum and also in the Links 2.0 Customization forum where you can port codes into Links SQL.

In Reply To:
- Why don't i have to use the variable <%db_cgi_url%> in the link.html like Alex told (see url below), if i use the variable it won't work, is this because the fix i use or something else ?
It should work. Have you inadvertantly deleted the hash defintion for db_cgi_url in your %GLOBALS hash in the HTML_Templates.pm file.

You should see:

Code:

db_cgi_url => $LINKS{db_cgi_url},

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks AnthroRules for your reply.

In Reply To:
d stands for dynamic and 1 means to turn it on. It is my understanding that it is used to pull user data and other dynamic information into web pages within your directory when you use page.cgi.
You mean the url parameters will be send over to the next page or something like that ?

In Reply To:
Actually, it is the opposite. Page.cgi calls jump.cgi when you click on links. What you should do is use jump.cgi to update Hits for your detailed pages and change the $goto redirection codes in jump.cgi to go to the detailed pages. This has been discussed before in this forum and also in the Links 2.0 Customization forum where you can port codes into Links SQL.
Well thanks i will try to look it up. But i think your solution will not work if i use static (layout 1) and dynamic pages (layout 2) right? Maybe i must copy jump.cgi to jumpdetailed.cgi and use jump.cgi for static and jumpdetailed.cgi for dynamic. Or you know a easier way ?

In Reply To:
It should work. Have you inadvertantly deleted the hash defintion for db_cgi_url in your %GLOBALS hash in the HTML_Templates.pm file.

You should see:
db_cgi_url => $LINKS{db_cgi_url},
Well the variable is/were working Smile that's not the problem only cgi-bin/page.cgi is two times in the same url that's why it's not working. Maybe i don't have to use d=1 before the first call ? Or does any know why cgi-bin/page.cgi is displayed 2 times in the same url?

Port codes links 2.0 into Links SQL sound great but, how can i do that ?

Allready thanks.
Quote Reply
Make sure your templates just use <%db_cgi_url%>/file.name and not anything else.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/