Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

What is signup_form.html use for?

Quote Reply
What is signup_form.html use for?
Dear all,

I just found that in the template file, there is a file called signup_form.html, I just wonder what this file use for?

Is it a form template for visitor to sign up as the site member? If yes, is the membership database information store in a different database file? Can I print out the membership information in the details page?

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
Re: What is signup_form.html use for? In reply to
This is to become a "Member". In the beta there is a users database where you can store all your user information. 'signup_form.html' is the template to signup. I'll explain in more details once the next beta is out.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Let say if I have a form to register members and ask them more information, like first name, last name........

Can I print all those information in the detail page or any where in the template files?

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
No, not yet, but perhaps. With the dynamic page display, you might be able to do something like:

<%if logged_in%>
Welcome <%username%>!
<%endif%>

in the tempalte. This is still a little ways off, not much though!

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
i'm actually planning on doing that.. i did it for Links 2.0.. never finished the user area though..

Alex, if you don't mind.. I'll work on the User Database.. Unless of course you have very "unique" plans for it..

All I want to do with it is make the User register before allowing them to Add.. when Add instead of contact email or name it has a field with like UserID with the Unique ID of the User.. using this the detailed pages or site_html_link can fetch the User Info..

Then of course.. there is Modify (where user modifies his own links in a password protected enviroment) and then Delete.. where user delets his own links.. [of course.. depending on the Users Level.. things may need to be validated..] and some users may not have permission to add or mod or del..

another simple thing (would work just like jump.cgi) user Profiles.. [profile.cgi].. just like UBBs

anyways.. the most complex it can get is the login script.. which you have pretty much done (i find it has a few flaws with the cookies and sessions.. but can't blame you.. you had to get the editor stuff out Smile)..

jerry
Quote Reply
Yes. Widgetz is saying what I want. I want the script can print the user info in the details page or anywhere in the template files. That would be really cool if I can do it.

How about user profile cgi, what it use for? Actually, I can just use user.cgi to register the user information and then I can have the user profile. So u mean the profile.cgi to display the user information just like what UBB done?

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
yea.. profile.cgi would just be a SIMPLE script with like a if else statement 1 subroutine call and a load template..

jerry
Quote Reply
But actually, I would prefer generated pages in html file format instead of generate by cgi on the fly.

I mean I can print user info in the html page.

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
wait.. are you saying you want a huge dir full of like thousands more profile pages? It can be done.. but there isn't much more information on these than the Users Info..

like at Yahoo..

http://profiles.yahoo.com/abcdef

dunno if that is somebody.. but just try it..

it's no more than one query into the user database.. possibly a few more for calculation type things (like how many reviews posted.. however i think this should be done like a hit counter.. incremented using nph-build.cgi like Build_Update with rate.cgi)..

anyways.. html pages can be done with another subroutine almost exactly like build_detailed_pages..

jerry