Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Technical question

Quote Reply
Technical question
Sorry this isn't directly related but does anyone know the steps in installing libwww-perl

1. Download, untar I can do

Where do you put it and

perl makefile.pl
make
make test
make install

makefile.pl doesn't seem to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Technical question In reply to
Try a Capital M and F Smile

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost or find a new one.
www.webhostarea.com
Links SQL User
------------------

Quote Reply
What Michael_Bray is saying, is something I try to point out in all installs -- not everyone uses the EXACT same names for their files (or there is system-translation going on). You need to list the directory to see what names have been unpacked. Sometimes the "make" will be "Make" or even 'MAKE'

If you are using a windowed environment to access it ... it helps to open a directory listing (FTP by Telnet) to see the list of the file names. It also makes reading the docs and editing files easy.

The other thing is that if you've su'd to root, then your path information may not exist, and you need to give complete paths.

When I work on file installs, I load my default shell manually /path/to/shell/ profile so that my "environment" is normal for the system. Because I'm already logged in as root, and know I'm working, it's safe to do.

Sometimes, programs will install with a command like:

/usr/local/bin/perl make (etc...)

Other times, they want more from the environment, and I find loading the shell with default binary paths solves a lot of problems of editing the scripts (some want the path to gcc, or other programs).

So -- the two things to check are:

1) the file names
2) the paths in your environment

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
With perl modules:

1. If you are on Windows NT/98, get the latest version of Perl from Activestate and use the 'ppm' tool to install all modules. Just type:

Quote:
C:\>ppm
PPM interactive shell (1.0.0) - type 'help' for available commands.
PPM> install libwww

2. If you are on Unix, use the CPAN module. Type:

perl -MCPAN -e shell

and the first time you will be presented with a quick configuration. Except the defaults for most things unless you know better. Then, once configured, just type:

install Bundle::libnet

to install LWP and all the associated modules automatically.

Only if the above fails should you try to do it "manually" (it's not really that hard though). Then, you just enter what you said above (should be root when you do the make install).

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex, everything seems to work after

perl -MCPAN -e shell
install Bundle::libnet

then it says, says various lines, the last being Net::Cmd is up to date

cpan >

then I typed

make
make test
make install

Then I tried to use the badlink.cgi that uses LWP::UserAgent but there is an error at @INC

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks for all the help.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Never mind. I figured it out. I ended up doing it manually.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin