Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Sorting Problems

Quote Reply
Sorting Problems
I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. About half the time I build links the sort order places the new links at the end of the category listings and the other half it places them, as it should, at the top. ??????

Also, I cannot see any pattern as to when it decides to place them first or last.

No, I did not change the sort order.
No, I am not using alt categories.

Any help would be appreciated.

RWhite

Quote Reply
Re: Sorting Problems In reply to
Do you have links in multiple categories? If so,this is a known bug.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
No sort order adjustments, no alt categories. Hmm... Is this something that just started happening? If so, any recent changes? What is your sort order set to? You're sure you don't have any alt categories mixed in? That's all my guesses for the time being...

Dan

Quote Reply
No, I noticed it a couple of weeks ago and usually if I rebuilt againn it would clear. Today it doesn't want to clear. It's not the alt-categories because I haven't used them on any new links.

Just to clarify this... I do have 1 alt-category link within this category, (not the new link). Does having any alt-category links within a category screw up the whole sort??
I thought it just threw the alt-links at the end.
RWhite

Quote Reply
I believe any alt cat link will mess up all the sorting in that category. Most likely, that's the cause of your problem.

Dan

Quote Reply
yep..

if you have an alt cat and a new link in the same category.. when they are displayed.. they are sorted using a perl sort fuction instead of a mysql ORDER BY method.. so basically.. it ignores the SORT_ORDER and sorts by Title..

as far as i know.. there is no fix for this bug.. if i were even interested in making this mod.. i'd imagine it'd be just fixing up that perl sort routine in DB_Utils.pm and making it parse the _sort_order variables in Links.pm to figure out the exactly sort order and then compiling a sort routine using the corresponding fields and asc/desc order..

its very dirty code.. sort of stupid too.. parsing the _sort_order variables isn't a good idea.. because they can be typed in many different ways..

Jerry Su
widgetz sucks