Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Snoopers can they be helpful?

Quote Reply
Snoopers can they be helpful?
Hi all, this is more of a commentary poll. Sorry about posting this here but I don't know where else to post it, there's no general discussions forum and since I'm a LinkSQL user, I guess here is good. I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what your feelings on it were:

One day casually working on development of your site. You receive an email, it goes something like this:
In Reply To:
http://www.your_domain.com/cgi-bin/path_to_your/admin/admin.cgi

your directory isn't password protected
I'm just curious as to people's thoughts on how you feel when/if you ever got this type of email from someone. I mean would you be thanful? Should you be? It's a question that's been bothering me ever I received such an email.

Quote Reply
Re: Snoopers can they be helpful? In reply to
You should consider it a _blessing_ and fix the hole!

Then make sure you've FIXED EVERYTHING!

Someone who sends you a warning is trying to be helpful.... if they weren't, they wouldn't have taken the time.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

For every snooper that writes you there are 20,000 who won't!

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Well the thing is, I knew it wasn't protected and didn't have any intention of doing so until, I WAS Ready...it's not that it's a difficult process. I mean my .user file is all set, and I have access to access.conf and know how to use it. It's just a pain in 'da arse to have to login all the time when your developing. Especially when you're using lots of graphics where once they're loaded into your browsers memory, the easiest way to get them out is to close your browser and re-open, oops gotta log in again...

I understand what your saying and that is why it's soo hard to figure out how to feel, on one side I am thankful but on the other it's still a stranger walking into my house without an invitation, saying oh I just thought I'd let you know you forgot to lock your door.

Quote Reply
Ok, I do see what you are saying, but you are looking at it _FLAT_OUT_ wrong. <G>

Consider your website to be a store in a high-crime district. You are distracted by something when you are locking up, and you forget to snap the locks closed on your bars. Or you leave the key in your lock.

You come back the next day and find a note in the lock "You forgot to lock it, be more careful" or you find the key slipped under your door.

Do you get angry? Or do you get thankful that someone honest (hopefully) found it before the thugs?? They don't know _your_ intentions, but they know the statistical risk of the situation they are currently observing, and the _harmful_ intentions of others who may happen by.

It's up to you... but the reality is what I've written above.

What if you had nothing in your store, and you only pulled the bars closed each night, rather than using chains and locks. It was intimidating enough that casual observers wouldn't notice. You are now working, and getting set up, you have some inventory delivered, and you decide to go down the block to get a sandwich before finishing up. You haven't been locking your doors, so you don't do it now. When you get back -- would you rather find:

1) an empty store
or
2) A locked store and a note "You forgot to lock up" ??

I know which I'd rather find.

Take it as a gentle reminder to LOCK YOUR DOORS!

Look at your type of snooper as a nosey neighbor with good intentions. Your next snooper may not be so noble.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Points well taken...one of those catch22 situations...fortunately one that turned out with no bad after effects. I guess I should write this guy a note apologizing for being rude and upset. I'm sure the person who wrote me the note will see this. I made the situation public so I should apologize publicly too.