Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

isPopular and rebuild problem

Quote Reply
isPopular and rebuild problem
We currently use Links SQL Version: 1.13. When we upload link data with the isPopular set for Yes in our data, the record shows up properly with the Yes shown. The link has also the proper amount of hits to place at at the top of category.

The problem is when we build the links all isPopular settings go to No. They were originally uploaded as Yes, and confirmed as Yes in isPopular when we checked links on backend, but when we build the pages the isPopular all return to No. The links all show up at top of category, so our problem is with the isPopular defaulting back to No on page rebuild.

Thank you for your help.

Quote Reply
Re: isPopular and rebuild problem In reply to
Check the VOTES/RATINGS/HITS fields.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thank you Eliot Lee,

The solution ended up being quite simple. We needed to increase the LINKS{build_pop_cutoff} = 50, to =500 in the Links.pm file; as this was too low and any links after top 50 (original setting) would change back to No in the isPopular and graphic would not show after build was done. Once we increased setting to 500, the isPopular works and Popular graphic comes up with link after build.

Thanks again for your feedback

Quote Reply
This will eventually show 500 links on your 'Popular' page, I assume you're OK with that?

If what you wanted to do was highlight individual links and push them into a seperate page for more prominence then you could add a new "recomend" field to your links db and push these links to a 'Recomended/Top Site' template (it wouldn't matter if they were 'new' or 'pop' either).

If you're happy with what you've got now, I apologise for butting-in, but an update similar to what I've proposed might just be worth thinking about if your 'pop' page gets a bit full in the future Smile (PS. it also give you a lot more control over the listings as you can turn them on/off through the admin Smile)

All the best
Shaun