Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

forum.cgi

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
forum.cgi
i was bored.. it is spring break and besides a few events i will be attending i'm going to be home a lot..

last night i put this together..

http://64.6.238.208/forum.cgi

it is very simple.. i took away all post/reply stuff so you guys can't do anything except for look at it..

i need to fix a couple things regarding sorting and add a lot more features.. but other then that.. it is a working forum.. the Last Visit thing was originally intended for new message indicators.. but i'm going to change that to the UltraBoard style for each individual forum..

yea yea yea.. i know.. i wasted like 2 hours making this.. i could of just went and downloaded some other forum or something.. the reason i made it was for template support, SQL database, and it uses my style of coding =]..

also.. i was going to open my own perl script site at widgetz.com but i didn't want to create my own DBSQL.pm so i'm just making these addons =]..

comments please..

jerry
Quote Reply
Re: forum.cgi In reply to
Cool forum script, Widgetz!! I am sure that many people would be interested in using it. I like it the template-based feature of the script.

Keep up the great work!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.
Quote Reply
Are you planning on releasing this Jerry?

------------------
Robert Blackstone
Webmaster of Scato Search
www.scato.com
Quote Reply
Jerry,

I was getting a too many connections error on the database.

Quote:
DBSQL (15416): Fatal Error: Unable to connect to the SQL server. Reason: Too many connections at /home/pdamania/public_html/forum.cgi line 48

I don't know if you were playing with it, or if your script was leaving processes around.

On another issue -- can you release the work you've done on the ratings/review program? A bunch of us can continue to work on it.

Quote Reply
this is the old site.. it sucks.. sql got stuck alot.. either lost connection or too many connections.. it was also down alot so i got a dedicated server. but i have no clue how to configurate it so i still use the old one until i figure out how to do it..

like review.cgi i will only release it when i have the time to.. this however will not be very friendly code.. i am changing a lot of things right now so there will be a lot less processing and i will be able to sort easier.. summer comes around in 10 weeks..

jerry
Quote Reply
 http://64.6.238.208/forum.cgi

ok.. everything is working great.. test it out.. hopefully it won't do any more of that too many connections.. the reason behind that was that php guy that made php version of links.. he happens to be on the same server as me

anyways.. you guys don't sign up for an account.. use

u: jerry
p: test

and just sign it with your name.. =]

please post suggestions and features you would like to see.. i'm going to start on these things later..

also.. does anyone understand the logic behind the cookie for the last login to determine new messages?

thanks

jerry
Quote Reply
>also.. does anyone understand the logic
>behind the cookie for the last login to
>determine new messages?

It shouldn't be that difficult. First you would have to get the date and time of a users last login, via their cookie.

Then you should be able to cross match that date and time, with the date and time of the posts.

I personally don't know how to go about this, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out if you look at some other scripts.

------------------
Robert Blackstone
www.scato.com
Quote Reply
yes. i know how to do that.. but i'm wondering about the cookies you set.. what should the values be and when should they be set..

jerry
Quote Reply
ok.. i finished doing that.. go test it..

when you first arrive everything should be new... so.. umm.. arrive twice Smile.. reload the page when you get there..

then go to a board and either reply or post a message... and then click on the link back to the forum or board and you should notice the new message indicators.. Smile

i only use one cookie for this.. it's not as good as ultraboards.. but it's better than UBBs.. ultraboard has new message indicators for each board.. it tracks when you go in and out of each of them.. mine just tracks when you go in and out of the whole entire thing..

k.. most of tommorrow i'll be gone at an amusement park.. i'll do a little extra stuff at night and i think i will get this out to you guys friday.. with minimal instructions though.. i personally don't think it should be that hard..

hopefully you guys will make the modifications that you guys need.. like hmm.. hits for each topic.. that's not that hard.. i will make a better form of administration in the summer when i have time..

jerry
Quote Reply
Another question. Will this tie into user.cgi? So if user registers through user.cgi, they will have access to the forum via the username and password they selected earlier?

Anywayz...
Sounds good, can't wait to see it!
And really, thanks for taking the time to do this for us. I know that a lot of people appreciate what you're doing.

------------------
Robert Blackstone
www.scato.com

[This message has been edited by Robert_B (edited April 19, 2000).]
Quote Reply
exactly correct robert Smile

with a few adjustments to user.cgi's cookies settings forum.cgi uses the User database that is created with user.cgi..

login.cgi and logout.cgi are just a few subroutines i took from user.cgi to create individual files..

again.. i created this script because it is my style of programming.. my style happens to be alex's style because i learn from alex's code.. so my entire site happens to be only Links SQL and my own addons and scripts..

i find this addon quite... umm.. off topic to Links.. but I didn't want to create a script that didn't run off DBSQL Smile.. it saves me so much time.. it is also good for alex because you can buy Links SQL and get a forum too.. i plan on making the forum as close to Ultraboard as I can get without viewing ultraboard's code of course.. just based on experience and looking at their support forum..

thanks for your comments.. tonight i will probably not do much.. i am quite tired as i slept from 4:30am to 7:30am which is only 3 hours.. then i took a shower and got ready and about 8:30 to 9:00 i wrote most of the modify subroutines and then left at 9:10.. just got home a few minutes ago (9:00pm).. tommorrow i am doing just about the same thing.. waking up early and going somewhere until 4pm.. so I will do everything at night..

then i need to do some projects for school.. so i will be unavailable the whole weekend

jerry
Quote Reply
 This would be more of a personally mod, but I'm a little curious if it would be possible with forum.cgi.

Here it is:

Our site is trying to give each of our users a little notepad, so they can write down whatever they want. My question is, would it be possible to create a thread for each user, and only that user had access to it?

------------------
Robert Blackstone
www.scato.com
Quote Reply
I would imagine if you tied the forum.cgi access to the user login cookie, the only thread that would come back is their own, and the only person who could read/write it would be them.

If part of the call to the scratch pad /thread was their username that had to be validated with their log-on, then only if valid-logon select from Forum where username=cookie values

Something like that.

So, in answer to your question, yes it's possible. How easy it would be with Jerry's mod he'll have to answer.

But you could probably implement it yourself, using the above idea and giving everyone a 'text' field.

You might be able to expand on that with the DBMAN-SQL program, to allow them to have multiple fields, but I don't know how to use that program or even what it does! But you basically want a user to be able to modify a record in a table, and ONLY that user be able to modify that record in the table.

Quote Reply
umm... you wouldn't even need to use forum.cgi to do that...

you could just create a little text field in the User database and then create a simple script to edit it..

yes.. i could do what pugdog said too..

oh yea.. did I mention that I will also make private messages? for each individual user.. just another database and with a few fields (ID, From, To, Subject, Message).. nothing much.. these are mainly for sites that have some sort of discussion.. email would be better still though.. Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
ok.. i made a subroutine that creates the select list of a tree of the forum structure.. which shows up at the bottom of every page (well.. going to be every page when i finish updating templates)..

i also made a show topics in X days for the boards.. you can test that out.. it also saves a cookie as your preference for future use.. i couldn't use an SQL command to that.. the UNIX_TIMESTAMP doesn't work and there is no substitute for DATETIME.. so i just put a

Code:
last if (time - $lpost) > $show;

$lpost being the UNIX format of the last post in the thread.. (last updated time).. $show being the days times 86400..

so basically once it hits the first message older than x days.. it stops the loop..

i am 75% done with the modify feature.. i just have to create the template and a few more lines of code

jerry
Quote Reply
 Jerry,

Any progress on this project?

------------------
Robert Blackstone
www.scato.com
Quote Reply
umm.. i have a lot of homework to do in the next 3 days..

also.. my IP account will be deleted in less than 5 days.. so I really need help configuring my new dedicated server..

right now i created pdamania.com as a virtual host and I am trying to get the CGI to work.. no matter what I do.. I get a premature end of script headers.. however I am able to do it on the main account.. so i don't get it..

anyone?

jerry
Quote Reply
The error sounds like a server problem and/or the proper perl modules aren't installed.

------------------
Robert Blackstone
www.scato.com
Quote Reply
I offered to set him up if he'd release the review2.cgi stuff he's gotten so far. But I don't know if his email addresses work.
Quote Reply
Hello,

That would be awesome! Hopefully he wll do it. I've been waiting for that mod for so long.

Jerry, thank you very much if you decide to release what you have so far. Smile

------------------
James L. Murray
PaintballCity.com
The Yahoo of Paintball
www.paintballcity.com
AIM: Paintball City

Quote Reply
I know. A lot of people have. I just don't have time to do the graphics out put. I can rewrite any code logic (I have a basic system in development on my site) but don't have the time to deal with the graphics and developing that logic. He's already worked it out.

Jerry's got a good eye for design, so I'd like to go with that.

I just have very little free time, and have to justify everything I do to my partners, family, etc Smile

It's the downside of running your own business, your time is not 'yours' ever.

I justify my time here as both relaxation and idea generation. Thinking through the variety of problems here, keeps me on-course with my own development.

Quote Reply
You can make a simple graph using

<hr width="$width">

-> Thats the sort webadverts make.

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost or find a new one.
www.webhostarea.com
Links SQL User
------------------

Quote Reply
so.. does anyone know how to make cgi/perl work in any directory? not only the cgi-bin..

that's all i need to do right now and my server is finished

jerry
Quote Reply
I'm not sure how to make it work in any directory, but IIRC to get it to work for specific directories besides cgi-bin, you go into the httpd.conf file for apache and then go to the virtual host section for the one you are working with. You should be able to add this line

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /www/domain/cgi-bin/

for each directory you want by just changing the /www/domain/cgi-bin/ to whatever the pathname is for the directories you want to execute cgi's in... and you will need one line for each directory. HTH since I'd like to see review.cgi too.. Smile

Jerry
Quote Reply
add something like:

AddHandler cgi-script cgi

This creates problems, because it encourages you to be careless about where you put CGI programs, and can open up a lot of security holes.
> >