Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Re: editors

Quote Reply
Re: editors
Heye guys

here is a suggestion that Eliot suggested a while back to enable an <%editorinfo%> in category.html:
----------------------------------------------------------

1) Within the sub generate_category_page, you would have to use the SELECT function to select the CategoryID from the Editors table and also select the corresponding UserID from the Users table.

2) Then you would have to define a variable for the Editor information, something like $OUT{editorinfo}.

3) Then in your category.html file, add the following tag:

<%editorinfo%>

Just a matter of hacking (trial and error) the page.cgi script and template file.

----------------------------------------------------------
Well I can not say i am good in hacking but i have been trying for the last two days with no luck, i keep getting all sort of error messages.
If anyone out there can use Eliot's suggestion to provide a more detailed "scripting & hacking" info that will be a great help for me and a lot of the SQL version users.
For me the editors thing is what drove me to the SQL version most and I believe that a name display reward for the editor will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Abdoulrahman
Quote Reply
Re: editors In reply to
In Reply To:
all sort of error messages
May be if you post them...we could help you de-bug your hack...and I do believe that pugdog was in the process of working on a modification that will print the Editor's name in category pages.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
The main error messages where:

Software error upon building.
and the next was unknown tag editorname. in the category where the editor name goes.

Abdoulrahman
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Software error upon building.
Check the syntax of the nph-build.cgi script via telnet:

1) Connect to the directory where this file is located:

Example:

Code:

cd cgi-bin/links/admin

2) Check the syntax of the file:

Code:

perl -c nph-build.cgi

Then post the EXACT error messages you receive.

In Reply To:
and the next was unknown tag editorname in the category where the editor name goes.
This tag needs to be defined in the sub site_html_category in the HTML_Templates.pm file in the template hash.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
hey guys

I am a first timer down here. I am working on a new directory about women, and I am planing to assign an editor to each category.
can some one down here (katabd, or AnthroRules ) give me a "for the dummy" instruction about how to display the editor name on the category?
it sounds like a great idea that a lot of my visitors will like.

Please let me Know

Cheers
Diane

Quote Reply
Hello

Anyone there...