Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

adding fields..

Quote Reply
adding fields..
Hi,

I need to add a few new fields to my directory. I'd like the fields to show up both on the user add and admin's areas. I already have entries in the database.. How do I add the fields without corrupting the existing entries?

Sorry if this is a completely newbie question..

Katina
Quote Reply
Re: adding fields.. In reply to
You need to add the fields to BOTH the Links table and the Validate tables!

The fields should show up automatically in the Admin area.

You just use standard <%field_name%> tags in the templates to populate or display them.

Quote Reply
Ok.. will this automatically update the existing entries? Or do I need to modify them as well?

Thanks,

Katina
Quote Reply
If you specify a default value, any existing records will automatically have that value. If you leave it blank, any existing records will have a blank entry for that field.

Cheers,

alex
Quote Reply
Alex,

Great!! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear.. Thank you! Smile

Katina
Quote Reply
So, it's possible that the following step is not necessary to add a field (to categories in this case). Maybe I am guessing correctly, maybe not. (?)

"Step 3
Edit your category.db file with you favorite editor and add an extra "|" at the end of each line."

They say this at:

Category Title Modification
www.webmasters-resources.com/links/category_title_mod.html

I've found those instructions at:

Resources in Links : Modifications : Version 2.x
www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/Links/Modifications/Version_2.x

I don't know if that step is necessary or not (adding an extra "|" at the end of each line).

Thank you very much if someone knows about this.
Quote Reply
Sorry, just now I'm realizing that this is a page in the Links SQL forum, instead of Links 2.0.

Of course, for Links SQL that step about "|" is not necessary (different databases, etc.). I suppose it is possibly necessary for Links 2.0, but I'm beginner on Links.