Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Uploading
Hi,
We are using Links SQL for a software review site, and notice in the links.pm file that there is provisions for three upload directories, attachments, unscanned and somethign else.

My question is, how does this function? What we want to do is allow people to add their software listing, then upload the program to our server. We will then download, and scan then move to the attachments directory.

I havn't found any docs on this matter.

Can someone please explain in detail how to get this feature to work.

Thanks
Harrison

"I've got if's pretty good, but that's about it"
Quote Reply
Re: Uploading In reply to
Have you tried searching the forums and also the LINKS SQL FAQ site????

Because I found the following Threads:

File Uploads
http://gossamer-threads.com/...pl?ubb=000353:Forum9

File Uploads -- The Basics
http://gossamer-threads.com/...pl?ubb=000421:Forum9

Working with Attachments2
http://gossamer-threads.com/...pl?ubb=000652:Forum9

You might find the LINKS SQL FAQ site helpful:

http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for the links,
I guess I should just stop asking question here and direct them directly to GT, since there is not good docs with this $450.00 piece of software, honestly, I purchase a web design program for $299.00 from Adobe and the manual is like 300 pages, I purchase Links SQL for $450.00 and the manual consists of 8 paragraphs.

So, I'll continue to post questions that are about mods, and no longer post questions about how it operates, as I guess by the responses that I've read here, I should just tie up GT's time with my questions on how the product operates until such a time that they come out with suitable documentation of all the functions and features.

Again thanks for the links, I suppose I could go through and try to put together 50 of the posts into one doc file that will explain it consisely and properly. OR NOT!

Harrison

p.s., no im not pissed, just a bit disturbed at the lack of proper documentation to this product! I should just be able to print out proper documentation and work from that, I shouldnt have to search forums, or read faq websites or ask such basic questions. A proper documentation would cure that, and would cure people like me from asking such basic questions.

"I've got if's pretty good, but that's about it"
Quote Reply
At my first times on gt, i thought the same way than you, but remark: this is a living project, and i think it is impossible to write down a manual for links. With something like that you had to do a new download all days and have you ever ask a book for some special solution?
So use this forum, i really have never found a community like this and it´s my job to surf every day on such sites to find answers for my business.

Robert

Quote Reply
Robert's right.

This product changes almost daily.

To make things easier, I've tried to collect the most common and useful things in the FAQ forum. It's a good place to start.

Then, searching through the rest of the threads will usually yeild the answer. Most people have been through the same situation as you, and the problems have been worked out.

The new links has pretty good documentation so far, and self-installs.

The modules and plug-ins should be self-documenting (as up to each developer/author).

And, then, there is this forum.

Unlike a 'commercial' package that is boxed, and put on the shelves, this sort of software never hits a 'freeze' date. Bugs and problems are fixed as they occur, and can be applied or used as needed. You don't have to wait for the official release to get a fix.

A manual would be out of date before it was finished, much less printed. Then, it would become out of date very quickly.

The new links seems to have context sensitive help (more or less) so that individual parts can be updated as necessary.

While a manual or guide would be nice for people starting out, this is a high-end script, and requires a fairly good deal of perl/server/cgi knowledge to deal with. If it's your first website, it's going to be rough. Even coming from a programming background, I found learning it all a steep curve -- but then again, I've rewritten much of it :)

In retrospect, the included docs and the forum are more than sufficient to get things working and running.

The biggest deal is installing the program -- but that comes with the purchase price.

Then, there is the need to customize the templates. That is a first step. but most people start to dig into the code, and make other changes. That's their choice... really. How that's done depends on the situation, and if you read here, no two solutions have been quite the same.

Beyond that, everything else is customizations, or bugs (such as the search and alt-links problems). As many solutions and work arounds that have been discovered or created have been posted. Unlike most boxed software, you can just apply them as you need. You can even hire someone to customize things for you.

Just as a ballpark figure.... to duplicate the program yourself, would take about 6 months (using the dvelopment time of the new links as a guide) and at a pay rate of 40 hours a week, at a low $100/hour (who works 40 hour weeks????), you are looking at about a $100,000 investment. Which is about right. You are getting that for about $450. So, even assuming you could duplicate the program with a couple of staff programmers at $10/hour for 6 months you are looking at an easy 20K in development costs, which if you could find a few people willing to work at $10/hour and give you all the benefits, you might be able to duplicate. Point being, the cost of software is _NOT_ the big cost. Support, maintennance, and more _IS_. Even "free" software means the code is open and freely usable. Your use of it may require the skills of a half dozen computer people at a base rate of 70k a year. .... Just trying to put things into perspective.

While people look at the cost of the software as the "end" of the process, it's just the begining.

If your time is worth $30/hour, and it will take you 10 hours or more to install something, paying someone else $200 makes complete sense.

Service contracts to installers and consultants to fix problems as they occur also make sense. Much easier, and economical to have someone on contract to do the tweaks and changes, fixes and upgrades you need.

You bring your car in for servicing, why not your website?

Anyway, I'm not bitching either, it's just there are a lot of costs involved in operating a website, or business, and most people try to cut all the wrong expenses. Sure, you _can_ do things your self, but is it more expensive in the long run? For businesses that don't have a good cash reserve... it's a problem. But, if your site is down for days, or months, or is missing orders, is it making or losing money?

Even with all the work I do on the servers, we pay for certain service contracts -- on the hardware. On Unix itself (disaster recovery sort of things). Things that either take too much of my time, or need to be done on a scheduled or regular basis. makes more sense.

So, back to the original question... for $450, you get a great set of on-line manuals. Even boxed programs are doing that -- you get a brief installation guide, and website address. And you get me, and eliot, and others who have solved problems, and continue to do so :) Try to get that from M$

I really think Alex could fairly charge 2-3x more for the next program, but that would price it out of the range of most sites. It doesn't mean it's not worth that. But, it also means, that sites are getting "software" and somewhere, he's going to have to start adding in support costs and contracts. It becomes incumbent on the sites to determine if they can develop it all themselves, or if they will need a graphics designer, Unix consultant, perl/mysql consultant, and/or on-going support contracts.

I have several such contracts, and I think Jerry must have gotten a few, since he's disappeared for the most part <G>, and I'm sure others here do too. Why? Many of us are up all night, and can apply fixes, updates and changes to people's sites at the 'off hours' and with an experienced hand.

But, I realize that when I buy a software product, I can either pay for support (as I did to get Qmail installed the first time) and then spend the next year trying to figure it all myself, or break down and purchase a few hours of support to do what I want or need, and then back track the process later on. Right now, even with the book, the year+ experience, a long subscription to the mailing list, and a working qmail installation, I'd like to get it updated and standardized. I may have to have someone do it, because I depend on the qmail system, and can't afford to muck it up.

It's "free" but it has costs to operate.

And...FWIW.... this forum is easier to understand than the Qmail ones :) <G>

PUGDOG®
PUGDOG® Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ