Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Still search problems in 1.13

Quote Reply
Still search problems in 1.13
I have upgraded my test site to Links SQL 1.13, but after the upgrade I found problems searching substring:
I have an example. Searching leo should find one link having Leo in the title. Searching leo* should find two links: Leo and Leonia in the title, but doesn't find Leonia. I have enabled DEBUG on level 5, but I can't understand what goes wrong. Please could someone check my site with the following examples:

URL: http://www2.fimnet.fi/cgi/links/search.cgi (version 1.13) or search11.cgi (version 1.11 search.cgi)
Search for word "leo" and you should find: "Leo Pharma Oy"
Search for word "leo*" and you should find: "Leo Pharma Oy" and "Leonia pankki"

I have upgraded both search.cgi and Search.pm from 1.11 to 1.13.

Lauri Parikka

Quote Reply
Re: Still search problems in 1.13 In reply to
Hello,

I did a search on your page with search term leo, and I clicked on Merkkejä, to change to substring searching, and
I retrieved both leo and leonia.

Jian Liu
Indiana University Libraries
Quote Reply
Looking at the debug output on your site, the Category search statement is - WHERE Word like "%leo%". AFAIK the "%leo%" looks for 'leo' in any part of the field, the %'s denoting anything can go either before or after, so it would bring up anything containing 'leo'.

However, further down the debug the Links search statement is - WHERE Word = "leo" - which will only return links based on 'leo' at the start of the field, i.e.; where field equals 'leo'. This might explain why you're not getting the results you expect.

Have you made any other changes to Search.pm or DBSQL.pm or DB_Utils.pm recently apart from the 1.13 upgrade?

Also, in search.cgi the variable that sets up a substring search is $ww - you'll find it amongst the settings in # Get/Set the search options. It should read something like this:

($in->param('substring')) ? ($ww = 1) : ($ww = 0);

You can force the substring setting by adding either of the following lines after the search options:

$ww = 0; # Turn OFF substring for ALL searches
$ww = 1; # Turn ON substring for ALL searches

Another line to check in search.cgi is this one:

$link_hits = $linkdb->query ( { query => $query, mh => $mh, nh => $nh, filter => \%filter, ww => $ww, ma => $bool }

... make sure you've got the $ww setting in place or the substring value won't be passed to the search routine.

Sorry for the long post ... hope this helps Smile

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
I understand that I could change $ww to default to 1, BUT shouldn't the * in the searchstring force the search to do substring search instead of whole word search? I thought the search should work throught the normal search-field so that "leo" would search only words "leo" and the star (*) in "leo*" should force the search to make substring search for words starting with "leo" and finding both "leo" and "leonia".

Lauri

Quote Reply
I don't believe that the search engine supports wild characters (*).

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
lpa,

If you look at the debug of the Links search statement, you'll see that it is NOT doing a substring search (I think we already know that Smile), but since it's doing the substring search for the categories I feel it should also be doing it for the links.

You could try replacing your current Search.pm, DBSQL.pm, DB_Utils.pm and search.cgi files with the original ones, one at a time to see if it resets the substring search. That might help to pin-down the problem to a specific file. I'm not at my regular machine so I can't look at the code right now, but let me know if replacing any of the files worked.

All the best
Shaun