Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

More questions about backup

Quote Reply
More questions about backup
1. I heard someone talk about MySQL dump. How do you do a MySQL dump? I have a dedicated server.
2. If I need to reinstall Links SQL on my machine, is it hard to do? What options do I have? Does Gossamer allow me to do it myself? Do they have a FTP site so that I can download Links SQL? Do they have instructions as to how to do it?
3. If hackers broke into machine, is it a must that I need to reinstall Linux and Links SQL?
4. I am still confused what files to back up? Which is links and whick is config?

Quote Reply
Re: More questions about backup In reply to
Q. I heard someone talk about MySQL dump. How do you do a MySQL dump? I have a dedicated server.

A. you need to log on as a priveledged user, and run the mysqldump program. There is a sample set of commands in the Links SQL installation doc.

Q. If I need to reinstall Links SQL on my machine, is it hard to do? What options do I have? Does Gossamer allow me to do it myself? Do they have a FTP site so that I can download Links SQL? Do they have instructions as to how to do it?

A. You have access to the download ZIP file. Installation is as difficult as you make it. The new links it's as easy as running an install program.

Q. If hackers broke into machine, is it a must that I need to reinstall Linux and Links SQL?

A. Depends on what they do to your machine. They shouldn't be able to break in if you set your security right.

Q. I am still confused what files to back up? Which is links and whick is config?

A. Any files you change should be backed up. But, the only files you may find you have changed are Links.pm, the files in the defs directory, and your backup files. Some people make extensive changes to the HTML_Templates.pm file as well. Backing up the entire links directory takes about 100k of space above doing a selective backup. You might as well back EVERYTHING up. You'll save space if you back up your backups directory regularly, and the rest of the tree any time you make a change, or at least monthly.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ