Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Links Sort Order By Hits

Quote Reply
Links Sort Order By Hits
I am trying to Get My Links to Sort First By the LINKs that have the MOST HITS.

Which in my Southern Boy Instints tells me they are in someone's opinion the most popular.

I haven't found anything on the boards about how to get the most HITS first.

http://www.sfahq.com
Phil the FOG
Quote Reply
Re: Links Sort Order By Hits In reply to
Around line 155 of Links.pm, I believe you would want to do something like:

$LINKS{build_sort_order_category} = "Hits DESC,isNew,Title";

Dan

Quote Reply
Keep in mind that those links may "not" be the most popular, but rather once submitters get wind of this being how you sort your results, may just sit there all day clicking on their own links to raise them to the top.

I have no idea of Links uses any kind of cookies to prevent the hits level from being raised for each link by checking to see if that person has clicked on a particular link or not, if not, this would make for a good mod to prevent link owners from clicking on their own links all day to boost it's level of where it will be shown in your listings.

Harrison

"I've got if's pretty good, but that's about it"
Quote Reply
I think the default setting for disallowing repeat clicks is one or two days. It's IP based, so it's not fool proof.

I would say a bigger reason to not sort that way is that it's counter intuitive to a structured directory listing.

Dan

Quote Reply
IP address is almost useless, and I say that with respect to GT, and the people that have helped to build Links Sql into what it is today, a fantastic program.

The reason that I say this, is simply, the majority of the population have dialup accounts where they are assigned a new ip address everytime they login, so if I really wanted to get my site to the top of the listings, I could certainly take the time to login to my isp 5 to 10 times per day, (actually due to my isp , who shall remain nameless, i often times have to login to my isp account 10 times daily), this would mean that I can come to the site and click at least 10 times per day to boost my site up the ladder, a really determined person would do this. I think it's 1. best not to divulge to your visitors how you are rating sites, whether it be based on keyword density, url, title etc.

We give our strongest rating to the urls, because we feel that people will have gotten a domain name that reflects their site if their serious about their website (yup, i know that if the posters knew about this, they would be making directories and pages with the same keyword names as what they are trying to list, for example, dog food could be listed as a url of www.mydomain.com/dog_food/our_dog_food.html to try and boost their rating), yes I know opinions seriously differ on this but that was our choice like it is this persons choice to display them based on the amount of hits the listings get.

Just my unsolicited thoughts on the subject.

Have a wonderful day
Harrison

Quote Reply
still.. only a bored no life would do that..

unless they got crontab.. hehehe

Jerry Su
Quote Reply
or a complete newbie to the web arena, that really wants to see his/her site at the top of any listing.

Harrison