Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

LinksSQL fast enough? compared to PHP apps

Quote Reply
LinksSQL fast enough? compared to PHP apps

I realize most of you are die-hard LinksSQL fans, and it does look like a fantastic application. I'm wondering though if the package is FAST enough for a large index of site?

By fast enough, I am wondering how it compares to a PHP/mySQL solution I'm thinking of using called PHPHoo. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: LinksSQL fast enough? compared to PHP apps In reply to
For page access, and display of data from the database, PHP _may_ be faster than page.cgi. But for building a site, keeping track of statistics, and managing a large site, you won't beat the speed of mod_perl.

PHP doesn't offer the static page capability of Links, which allows faster page serving with lower cpu load if you build static pages rather than serve everything dynamicly as PHP does.

I've looked at PHP as the solution to some things, but have always come back to PERL/cgi and maybe even emb_perl for the PHP-like functionality.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Is there any php-solution???
Where can i get it? Where get more information?
To your question:
I think there is a lot of philosophie about php and perl, the same about NT and Linux. Only a few people around could decide this questions.
Because of easier use of php than perl i would like to try it with php and go now searching ...

Robat
Quote Reply
I really don't think you would notice a difference in speed between php and cgi on 90% of sites. On heavily trafficed sites (> 500,000 hits a month), you might want to consider using mod_perl, which can easily outperform/keep up with php.

A lot of it is also on the implementation, php is still a programming language, and it depends on how well the person wrote the program. =)

Cheers,

Alex