Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

LinksSQL and CommuniTech

Quote Reply
LinksSQL and CommuniTech
Email Conversation with CommmuniTech - Looks like a dedicated server route.

Hello Wesley:

There appears to be some mis-communication here. No, we absolutely do not support Gossamar Threads Links script. This is clearly stated in our Acceptable Usage Policy:

www.communitech.net/about/policy.cgi

"..Due to the consumption of system resources and overloading of the e-mail server, CommuniTech.Net forbids the use of the Gossamer Links program by any client.
."

We also do not support mod_perl on our Virtual Webhosting Package. If you wish to use either of these, you may do so on your own dedicated server. Dedicated server information can be found at:

http://www.communitech.net/hosting/dedicated/

If you have any more questions, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Nicholas Gaugler
CommuniTech.Net Support
http://www.communitech.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------

>Conflicting information about mod_perl from
>Support Service Representatives
>
>A few questions:
>
>1. Can I use another links program other than the
>Free-For-All-Links?
>ie.
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/links/ OR
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/links-sql/
>
>2. Your UBB version is the full version and NOT the trial version right?
>
>3. Do you have/offer LWP, LWP::ParrallelUA or mod_perl ?
>refer to:
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/links-sql/
>
>Thanks,
>Wesley
>
>The response I received from Derek Abart:
>You are welcome to use gossamer-threads for your link program
>however we cannot offer you support on this. Our UBB is the full
>version. We have mod_perl. Thank you for the spelling
>information we will make sure we get that fixed. Thank You.
>
>Question about mod_perl, is this offered on your virtual server
>hosting?
>
>I've been told that this is not usually done due to the nature of
>mod_perl. (???)
>I'm curious if you have had any problems with it on a virtual server.
>If it is indeed offered on your virtual hosting package.
>
>Wesley
>
>
>Response from Nicholas Gaugler:
>
>I am sorry, but we do not offer mod_perl with our hosting packages.
>If you have any more questions, please feel free to let us know.
>
>I would like to know if mod_perl is offered and if it is which hosting
>plan is it offered with?
>
>
>Once again Thank You,
>Wesley

Probably something to do with Matt Wright's scripts offered there.

Gregorio: I will not be using Communitech's services. Currently looking at other hosting companies.

Thanks for the great suggestions everybody.

[This message has been edited by wesley (edited October 01, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: LinksSQL and CommuniTech In reply to
i think it has to do with the emailing Wink

TOO MANY EMAIL ADDRESS!

seriously..

not like it's built on MySQL or something..

jerry
Quote Reply
Shop around, look at the various ISP's and where you expect to be in 3, 6 and 12 months. Can they take you there? What about bandwidth? Excess bandwidth costs can really shut you down if you have not planned far enough ahead for them.

Most companies are bandwidth limited, no matter what they say. Look for companies that have really overbought bandwidth, and treat business customers differently. Look also for companies that are dedicated hosting, not hosting/connection since the user connects can kill their performance in the evenings, and it divides their customer support.

I would not write off Alex's packaged deal, and would look into other companies like rackspace.com

Quote Reply
exodus communications.. Wink

haha.. you guys know about them?

anyways.. it costs like $3000-$4000 for 1 gb of bandwidth.. (or maybe 1 mb.. forgot)

anyways.. microsoft.com, ebay.com and a whole bunch of other HUGE sites use them..

my dad was thinking about hosting on their backbone.. but then they told him the price and he was like "OH.. hypermart.net is nice".. Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
Their prices seem interesting, but the transfer allowance is low. 8 Gig a month is _very_ low for a site with any sort of graphics. If you get popular, you'll need more. They probably have divided the processing up across servers, with some servers handling MySQL and others mod_perl, and the servers are doing mostly page serving. But, they have probably packed in the users on the servers because of the low transfer allowance.

If you are starting up, and don't expect a lot of traffic at first, while you gear up, it may be a good deal... I'd wonder if they'd be able to offer the same service to a site that was doing .5 gig/day (15 gig/month).

Many hosting companies are geared to people setting up webpages that get 100 hits a day -- if that. That's what most websites do -- they are not interactive. They average the few higher end sites along with the dozens of inactive sites, and that's how they do it. Many hosts are sub-leasors of sub-lessors of bandwidth and/or space on other systems.

Decide what is important to you. If you are driven only by price, you will have to change hosts a lot, and deal with a lot more problems than if you pay more.

Paying more is _NOT_ always a sure way of getting more, and some hosts may really have excess resources and are willing to host you for any sort of traffic in the hopes you will stay with them.

When I looked around for prices and services, I looked at a lot of the adult hosting companies, since they are geared to high-bandwidth usage. The prices and bandwidth just didn't map out against the regular hosting companies, so I ended up going the dedicated route once again. We are definitely at one end of the Links spectrum -- our links are all images in the 50-100k range, with 5 15k thumbnails per page on average.

Make sure your bandwidth is adaquate and affordable. $6.50/gig if you buy 10 more gig it is only $65 -- on some hosts that could be as much as $650 !! $.10/meg is $100/gig

Quote Reply
BIG PROBLEM!!! I've been working on my site that is hosted on Communitech.Net for almost 3 months, and now I learn that we can't use Links! Before I through a tirade, it sounds to me that they just don't like the e-mail. So this would mean that if I stopped the automatic e-mails that were sent to people who edit, modify or delete a listing, I would still be able to run the program on their server. Is this true? Would this be possible? And would there be anything else I could do? Please help.
-Greg
Quote Reply
widgetz...

That seems really high. But, also they seem to be providing DoD and Banking level of fault tolerance and disaster services.

My ISP is pretty reliable on a cohosting arrangement, and offers pretty reasonable pricing. They also continually upgrade BEFORE demand creates a problem. In all the years of hosting, this has been the best company I've been with. They're not 'cheap' but they aren't 'cut-rate' either.

Quote Reply
I'd jave to say a good webhost would be OLM.net. They provide mod_perl by request (at the bottom of the page), MySQL, everything needed to run LinksSQL, not expensive. The page im refering to is at http://hostnew.olm.net/...ting/gen_prices.html

Jim
Quote Reply
Where could I learn about dedicated servers and how they are different from virtual servers? Also, wesley, are you sticking with Communitech even though they won't allow you to use links? Thanks for the help.
-Greg
Quote Reply
In the simplest sense, a dedicated server is one that is only hosting YOUR website. You have purchased the whole physical computer for your site, rather than sharing it with other people or services.

Hosting companies offer various levels of dedicated hosting, and how much they will do for you. The best arrangement is you have the whole machine, but the operate it as if it was a virtual account. At the other end is co-location where you've actually bought the machine, and all they do is physically keep it running, but you have to do all the server work yourself.

"Dedicated" means that the server is not doing anything but you have set up for it to do for you. You aren't sharing it. You have full access to all the power of the machine when you need it.

Virtual accounts are shared, so the power of the machine is divided up and may not be there when you want it.
Quote Reply
Hello!

The discussion here inspired me to inform you all that the Internet service provider I have offers the best possibilities related to all what you
all are discussing related to prices, dedicated servers, virtual servers, etc.

I paid about $21 per month for 120 MB space, 30GB traffic per month for a webmaster account with full system cgi!!! Smile

They are www.pair.com

I have installed Links SQL and runs without any problems. All ther modules are working fine.

[This message has been edited by rajani (edited September 29, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Virtualis is good, and they have a referal program so you can get another 25% of the price...

http://www.virtualis.com/vr/mbray

I am gonna move all my sites onto a dedicated server with them, but right now there virtual servers are fantastic.

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost, or find a new one at http://www.webhostarea.com

Quote Reply
Yes. pair.com is good for small or medium sites. But they have limitation on cgi running. If you have too many links in the database, let say over 10000, you might be unable to build your site. That was my experiences a year ago.

Another option is rackspace.com, they are focus on dedicated server. I have a site which host at their server. I got more than 80000 visitors per day. The daily traffic is around 4 to 5 gig per day. As far as I know, they do their job pretty good.

I will consider to host the SQL search in Alex suggested ISP. I will contact Alex about this later.

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
Rackspace is one I'd considered.

What they offer, and their prices, are definitely in line. If you don't know much about Unix, and expect _reasonable_ rather than heavy use, one of the Cobalt Raq2 servers is a reasonable option.

Rackspace also lets you configure and price on-line, and you can see how the prices change with various options.

No comments on their service, reliability, or support, as I never used them, but I did consider them in the top 5 when I was looking for a new host about 6 months ago.
Quote Reply
So pugdog, what others host you will consider?

I just look at http://www.virtualis.com/, they do have competitive adv as well, I mean with rackpace.

OK, here is my suggestions:
Pair.com - for small to medium site
Rackspace.com - good for configurations for what you want, but you still have to configure everything for links or other stuffs as well.
Alex suggested ISP - best for LinksSQL support if you don't want to take are any SQL installaion.

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
I don't know if I have recommendations -- I think hosting is sort of an 'at your own risk' proposition still.

My current host, Stargate, is the most reliable I've had so far, but no body is perfect.

I think the problem with the perfect ISP would be they'd be so swamped, they'd fail almost immediately <G>

Quote Reply
Hello!
Quote:
OK, here is my suggestions:Pair.com - for small to medium site
Rackspace.com - good for configurations for what you want, b...

True, www.pair.com is for small and medium sites.but for large sites they have anathor program which is very very special called www.quickserve.com You can learn from www.pair.com website if you surf deep. They charge $195.00 per month for a hardisk space of your choice and also a lot of traffic per day. I have doubts if there is any better than them. You can also buy a server from them and they will do everything for you.

However I am not their salesman and also do not want to spend time in speaking about them I just thought to inform you all and also in the interest of everyother in the future who is interested in searching a provider for hosting Links SQL

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
are you guys looking for CHEAP PRICE or CHEAP QUALITY?

i've been on a cobalt raq and i don't like it Wink

just thought you'd like to know..

cobalt raq = raqspace.com which is the same thing as rackspace.com

jerry
Quote Reply
Hi all,
I am busy finding a dedicated server to host my Website these days because no virtual hosting welcome it.

This is the cheapest one i found.
http://www.netinfra.com/servers/Linux/Linuxservers.cfm

I wonder if there is someone using this host and can give me some comments about it.

best regards.
Quote Reply
What don't you like about it Jerry?

I think the features you don't like, might what makes it attractive for those who don't want to have to manage a Unix box from the bottom up.

Quote Reply
What I want to say is because there so many hosting company in the market. I am also doing hosting businese in Asia as well. I know which one is good and what they are doing.

If you really don't want to take care of the installation of LinksSQL and mysql, do join Alex supposed ISP. I think they got the best support and I am going to join them too, because of the international fast traffic.

If you want to have a dedicated server, you can think about how many traffice u got, or you can share with someone who use links in this formun.

If you are really small and a start up site, go for some cheap hosts which at least suport links2 and mysql, like pair.com.

You can't find perfect web host, only if you host your site for yourself. Becuase most of the web hosts buy bankbone from their upstream providers, like UUnet and other second tiger ISP. If you host your site, you can configure the hardware and how many traffic you can have, like a 512K dedicared line or T1. It's all by professonal knowledge. Anyway, if you site don't have over 10000 visitor per day, go with those $30 to $40 web hosts, if your site got more than that, think of a better web host or host it for yourself. It's what I suggest.

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
I wouldn't base it solely on the 10,000 visitor mark.

How much data are you transferring, how much CPU are you using, and lot's of other features need to be taken into account.

Sharing a site, server or pipe is one way to divide up costs, but whomever is on the 'lease' usually ends up holding all the bills. If you go this route, make sure everyone pays upfront, and early, and you might want to do it 3 months at a time, so you have enough warning to know if your partners are going to pay the next quarter before you are shut down.

I know if I tried to set something up I couldn't compete on price with Alex's deal. Realisticly, I would consider 5 or 6 sites on a fast machine with a 10mbps ethernet to be the most packed you'd want a 'business' machine to be. At that rate, each site could realistically get 2 gig of bandwidth a day, and a gig of disc storage. With 5 or 6 people signed up, it would still cost at least $400/month to make it happen. That's far above the $30/month price, but so far, my ISP has delivered on performance -- and has continually upgraded BEFORE it was needed.

I'm not impressed by the 'connections' a host claims to have, what I care about is performance, uptime, access, availability, reliability, etc. They've even managed to limit downtime due to upgrades to 10-20 minutes every few weeks, and sometimes they've been done in parallel, so there was no downtime.

In 5 years of hosting, peformance has been the best with them, but they aren't cheap. You do get what you pay for -- and if uptime and peformance is important to you, RESPONSE TIME to your users -- then expect a hosting company to have set prices in the $300-$400 range for virtal hosting. (I changed that from "expect to pay" since a lot of companies will charge you for service, and not be able to deliver). Companies that have set prices lower, have over-subscribed the servers, and are hoping to get a lot of low-volume sites. A "links" site doesn't qualify as low-volume, as people can see by the 'free' hosts that have shut down accounts or disallowed it.