Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

LinksSQL + Mod_Perl & FastCGI?

Quote Reply
LinksSQL + Mod_Perl & FastCGI?
Hi,

This is in relation to LinksSQL - I've got Apache running mod_perl which I'll hopefully get LinksSQL working with shortly (looking for the howto in this forum) and then also wwwthreads.

My question is in regard to AdvertPRO (serving my banners) which is running on a virtual domain and doesn't run under mod_perl - instead it can use FastCGI.

Can anyone tell me if it's fine to run both mod_perl (for LinksSQL) 'and' FastCGI? - are there any performance issues to worry about? Anything special I should know or worry about? Everythings on a dedicated server.

Thanks, Regan.

Quote Reply
Re: LinksSQL + Mod_Perl & FastCGI? In reply to
you might want to put the ad-serving on a different port, and run FCGI/Apache only on for those processes.

Similar to proxying the lightwight apache to the mod_perl apache, you'd be directly calling ads off of one port, while serving pages off the standard port80.

By putting the ad serving on a different port, you might be able to avoid the proxy stuff, and just call the scripts directly. They would run under FCGI, and the front end (non Ad) would run under mod_perl.

I don't know... I don't do this... maybe someone else has some hands-on. I am still trying to get mod_perl to work the way I need/want it to.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
The problem is that Regan is on a virtual server, meaning that he/she would not be able to set-up additional ports. Using different ports is a smart idea that your hosting company may help with, Regan. Although not many hosting companies are willing to edit configurations in their firewall or DNS servers.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I've actually got it running as a Virtual Domain, but on my own dedicated server - so I can set it up to listen on different ports etc without any problems. It does sound like a good idea - I hadn't thought of that.

Cheers

Regan (he) :)