Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

For Widgetz

Quote Reply
For Widgetz
Hello Jerry,

Well..I bought Links SQL and I am excited to say the least. I can't wait to get your review.cgi2 for it.

I wanted to ask you. When you make the review.cgi2 will it have the following features:
1. Rating Img like stars for links template
2. External Rating

I guess that's it.. Smile

I have so many of the mods from links 2.0 that don't work on SQL.

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com

Quote Reply
Re: For Widgetz In reply to
I quit reading the Links 2.0 forum about 6 weeks ago, because I really made the full switch over.

What you'll find is that many of the mods can either be tweaked in very simply, or rewritten to work with LinkSQL quite easily.

Any mod that uses extra data is much, much, easier to do in LinkSQL than with 2.0 because the SQL database does 90% of the work in managing it.

Once the 1.1 stable version is released, there will be a common platform to work from. Right now we are all using different versions to differing degrees.

That's a benefit of Links 2.0, is that there has been one official version for about a year. Everyone has been working from that same set of codes.

The down side is these guys are working very, very hard to make Links 2.0 do things that LinkSQL can do much more easily, and will do given a little more time. After all, it's only about 6 months old, and it's only a 1.x version.
Quote Reply
umm..

rating images is a whole other mod.. has nothing to do with review.cgi..

i think my links 2.0 rating image mod should work with links sql.. i'm not sure if there are any variables other than the rating image url that needs to be globalized in the %LINKS hash in Links.pm

external ratings always work.. unless i put code in to block it.. i always wondered why people think it wouldn't work..

jerry
Quote Reply
Jerry,

People want it plug 'n play. How many different versions of shareware do you see for different audiences -- same software, different packages.

You might want to make both the 2.0 and SQL version, even if it's the same code, but different instructions on where to put it in the program.

Quote Reply
review.cgi sql v2?

for Links 2.0?

it'd be the same as review.cgi v1 except with the image graph.. Links sql just has extra including more things for the user database..

also.. it builds .html pages.. so it's more like a nph-build.cgi insert..

jerry