Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Editor.cgi modifications :

Quote Reply
Editor.cgi modifications :
Hello Alex!

How do I get rid of the brackets appearing in the following of the import and export routines :

<input type=text name="import-file" value="import-export/{$table}_import.txt" size=40>

<input type=text name="export-file" value="import-export/{$table}_export.txt" size=40>

Thanks in advance.

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
Re: Editor.cgi modifications : In reply to
Rajani,

I'm really sensitive to this since I have 7 and 9 year old children who I'm trying to teach 'manners' and 'attitude.' You are an adult, and should have more control.

Alex was asking for the SPECIFIC line number or section of code (the same way he tells you the file, subroutine and line numbers for each change) that you are talking about.

You must put the problem into context.
Quote Reply
Hi,

What area of the code are you referring to? I don't see anything like that in the code..

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

The title of the thread says that it refers to editor.cgi

The name of the input says that it relates to the import_data routine and also the export routine.

This is just a simple thing and no big deal. This will simply give a default file name so that doing all such things five to twenty times a day one does not have to type it evrytime.

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
Hello Mr. Pataki!

I am 47 and also have kids. So lets talk about Proffessionalism more than a talk at personal level.

Moreover, the message says it clear from where it has been extracted.

Further the point of the discussion is really not triggering on the actuall code or a subroutines but really a perl question. How to show a variable of a $table within a html tag.

Reading the message by me the second time, I did not find any impoliteness from my side.

However, one may feel that my reaction could have been other. My reaction was like this as I am a bit upset how important questions are supported in the other thread rather casually or not at all.

If I try to import with Import.pl, Alex says no, thats wrong use editor. If I come with editor.cgi problems he says no, thats wrong again.

There is only one man Alex who answers, somehow whatever. So one is dependent on what and when and how he answers. So I will be stuck untill i am able to import my database and thats not fair.

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
well.. i am 14 and have no kids..

i have nothing more to say Wink

except that Alex was asking for a more specific spot. in my experience of distributing code etc.. i find it very annoying when someone doesn't given any details.. someone onced emailed me with "I am having trouble with your mod! Can you tell me what to fix?"..

of course i just deleted that email.. first.. it doesn't tell me which mod.. then it doesn't tell me what the error is..

sometimes it's annoying just to get email asking for support.. but that is simply how it is.. you make a product you are bound to get email.. the more email you get.. the more picky you are about DETAILS!..

although you did say editor.cgi and gave some code.. i just did a quick search for a tiny portion of that code and also did not find it..

MORE DETAILS!!

jerry..

and btw.. i don't think i will have kids in the next 6 years.. SO.. i have no one to teach manners too... Frown

heh
Quote Reply
Hello!

Quote:
Alex was asking for the SPECIFIC line number or section of code...

What Alex is asking is that thats not the original code what I have mentioned! He says and asks that the passing of the variable $table is not part of the original code. Am I wrong?

He understood. But you both did not understand.

What I want is to have that directory + file name appearing as a default so that doing so daily it would be exported and imported from the same directory and the file name also remains the same.

The question is the brackets appearing there in the filename, if one could avoid them appearing in the editor webpage.

[This message has been edited by rajani (edited October 15, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hello!

For those who wants to make this modification following is the way to do it Smile! Add the codes in the import_data and export_data function of your editor.cgi

<input type=text name="import-file" value="import-export/$table-import.txt" size=40>

<input type=text name="export-file" value="import-export/$table-export.txt" size=40>

You will then need a directory called - import-export

The reason why I had to ask here is because if you use an _ after the variable $table then you will not get the name of the table. So I tried with the well known {} brackets. Now I found out how it works.

------------------
rajani

[This message has been edited by rajani (edited October 16, 1999).]