Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
DBI
Hi,
I know my question is more like it should be placed somewhere at CPAN but anyway. I have Links SQL, I have a mysql database but I donīt have DBI instelled. Is it possible for me to install it in the cgi-bin or does the provider have to like add it to perl? My provider does not want to play around with modules. Is there a way to run it without DBI - I think not .

Thanks for any help

Niko
Quote Reply
Re: DBI In reply to
Is your provider running MySQL?

Quote Reply
Yes he is. I got the database name, username, passord and everything but I cannot start the setup because there is no DBI.

Cheers

Niko
Quote Reply
He's running MySQL, but not offering DBI?? What's the point? I'd really like to know what the point of offering MySQL is then? DBI should be a _standard_ part of the PERL distribution!

Anyway, I don't know if you can install it locally. As a module, you should be able to, but I don't see any how-to.

You really should try to get your ISP to install DBD BI since offering MySQL, but not offering DBD BI is somewhat misleading.

It takes about 10 minutes to install DBD BI via CPAN, and it's pretty necessary to use the MySQL Databae through perl.

Quote Reply
There is a DBD BI mailing list, and the author does take questions. You might want to track down the mailing list archive and see if there are any how-to on installing a local copy of it.

Most add-in modules have these instructions, but DBD BI is _not_ considered an add-in module!! It's the standard database access package(s) for PERL.

Anyway, good luck! If you are not locked in to that ISP, find one who offers both MySQL and DBD BI.

Quote Reply
O.K. it was all my mistake. I have space on a NT Server and on a unix server and with the NT Server I have the right to use MSSQL and with unix mySQL. I tried to install Links on the NT Server with the mySQL Database but it did not work but I indeed do have dbi on the unix server. Anyway, thank you very much for your help.
Quote Reply
That would make sense! NT would probably want to use ODBC drivers rather than the DBI module. I really know nothing about NT, as I only ran the 3.5 version for about 6 months before deciding it wasn't going anywhere. I hated the fact MS was able to kill off OS/2 Warp, since the OS/2 2.0 version was probably the most stable PC operating system I've ever used! I rebooted my machine once a week whether it needed it or not, while my Windows machine used to reboot 3x a day whether I wanted it to or not!