Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Calculating category stats ... repost

Quote Reply
Calculating category stats ... repost
Since my former thread on this subject turned into a anti-links vendeta by another users, I am reposting this in hope of help.

WHen running build all, everything works fine until
Quote:
Calculating category stats ...
No stats seem to be compiled, nothing displays and after a good deal of time, the browser gives a finished command.

This is with links 1.1b2. Please help!

------------------
Ted Sindzinski
www.infinityinternet.com
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating category stats ... repost In reply to
you imported your links from links 2 or did you use setup.cgi to "update" your databases..

jerry
Quote Reply
I killed my entire db. Used setup.cgi to set it all up. Ran the parse file again and then got this problem.
Quote Reply
i sniff a BUG..

how many categories do you have right now?

i started from scratch with no problems at all.. but i only have like 9 categories. Smile

i'll look into it some more.. just need some more info..

jerry
Quote Reply
Something like 3167 categories. Some if not all categories seem to work when I search but building is no good.
Quote Reply
ok.. well.. there are a few things i can think of.. the easiest one is just changing the

Code:
$limit = 1000;

in build_stats to

Code:
$limit = 100;

and see if it builds.. if it doesn't.. then that shouldn't be the problem.. (you can try to go down all the way to like 50.. but it will just make more perl loops)..

the next possible problem is a query messed up.. it's not really likely.. but it may happen..

under

Code:
$GRAND_TOTAL = $LINKDB->total() + $total;

add

Code:
print "passed(1)\n\t";

then under:

Code:
$get_category_list->execute();

put

Code:
print "passed(2)\n\t";

if it does print the first one. .(i think it should.. then it went passed..) if it does print the second one (i think it will ONCE..) then it went passed.. it it went passed both but the second one only once.. that means on the first loop it got jammed somewhere..

[ Smile.. this is what i call "figuring out where the stupid bug is"]

also infinity.. if you want.. i can look at it for you and figure it out for you (if you gave me ftp access).. may be faster..

i'll be sleeping the rest of the night.. tommorrow i only have half of the day for internet.. i have to draw a map of my house for science.. (oh goodie)..

jerry

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited November 13, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Ok, I added the 3 lines. Let's see the results...

Quote:
Calculating category stats ...
passed(1)
passed(2)
All that worked. However, nothing more seems to happen (same error). The server is my own so, in theory I should be able to build 20,000 at a time if I wanted.

I evern went a bit furthure (printing up to test 5 which should have appeared a lot from the loop). Passed(4) (right after while (($sub_id, $sub_name) = $get_subcat_list->fetchrow_array) {) came a few hundred times.

I never was able to get past chop $sub_list; Any other ideas?

Btw, thanks a ton for all the help!

[This message has been edited by infinity (edited November 13, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Can you email me telnet info so I can take a look? Definately sounds strange..

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex,
I actually managed to get it all building via telnet. My problem now is with that builds; each category and subcategory has 2 links per path (althought he variable in links.pm is set to 20). In addition, both these links are indetitcal. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Ok. Everything seems to be running great, as long as I do a build all from the telnet shell.

Just to let you know Alex, I have 100,000+ links along with 3600+ top categories. I believe that the querry time is what causes links to have problems preparing and then executing the update via browser, whereas telnet does not time out and actually sees the querey/prepare data.

Ted
Quote Reply
Strange, did you have this problem in 1.1b1? In beta 2 I rewrote the caluclating stats into what I thought was faster, but it appears not in your case.

Cheers,

Alex