Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Nph-Build.cgi builds only half of my Pages

Quote Reply
Nph-Build.cgi builds only half of my Pages

Hello everybody,

I have been using Links SQL version 1.11 for a long time without any problems until recently.

I know that eventually I'll have to move to Links SQL 2.X or even Links SQL 3.0 by the time I am ready to move, but I've been holding out because of my customized version of Links 1.11.

Like I said, everything was working fine for years without any maintenance problems, but it seems that my web hosting company, Future Quest, made some changes in the sharing server I am using, and now when I am trying to rebuild my pages, they build only have of them.

My portal Peru Links was initially customized by Gossamer Threads back in the year 2000 to work as a bilingual portal (English and Spanish versions). This customization was made long before they released their official Multi Language, which makes my version a little bit different.

For instance, my title tag for Spanish is <%Spanish_Title%>, not <%Multilang_Spanish_Title%>), as I believe the current Multi Language tag would be labeled.

I belive this happens now because my Web hosting company shorted the time a script can run while executed from a browser call. I am not a very technical person, but I suspect this is part of the problem (although I can be wrong too).

I will appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

Carlos M. Chapa
Peru Links
PC Matching
Quote Reply
Re: [rockiniowa] Nph-Build.cgi builds only half of my Pages In reply to
I forgot to mention that I tried to rebuild my pages using telent, but it won't work.

If I try to rebuild using the "Perl nph-build.cgi" alone, it would exectue using telnet but with some problems. This is because the nph-build.cgi file that shiped with the original SQL 1.11 was modified.

The way the scripts were modified, from the admin framed page I could execute either “nph-build.cgi?troot=english” or “nph-build.cgi?troot=spanish.” In other words, I used to rebuild pages in the English and Spanish versions at the time in the admin page.

However, in telnet, I did try to execute the “Perl nph-build.cgi?troot=english”, but it didn't work. In this case I got an error message: “bash: Perl: command not found.” So I guess that telent tried to interpret "nph-build.cgi?troot=english" as if it was a single file.

Is there other way I can work around this cgi file?

I really don’t know much of Perl (other that this is the language that Links SQL 1.x uses). So I will really appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
Quote Reply
Try to use "Build Staggered".
This is the only way you can workaround this problem, in your special situation.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Nph-Build.cgi builds only half of my Pages In reply to
Webmaster33,

Thanks for answering my post. I didn't even know about that "Staggered Built" feature. I had to do some search over the forums to know what you was talking about.

Unfortunately, the old version of Links SQL I am running in my site, Peru Links .com, didn’t support that Staggered Built ad on yet. I have red some messages about it in the GT Forum (when this feature was about to be released), and I found some messages that were posted back in August 2,000! So I must be using a "collector's edition" version of Links SQL....

The problem is that, right now, I can’t afford to get the latest version with all the customization done (I want to do many changes to the new upgraded version, including data base integration with PHP Nuke). So I don't have enough resourses for that neither time to do that upgrad. Besides, I am also busy moving to another house.

So I guess that I might have to get some short-term fix for this build problem. I need to rebuild all my pages because I am using Google AdSense, and right now, I spend like four thousand banners a day in community service ads.

I think I have done enough free community advertising, and I’d like to use that space to promote my other dating web site. By the way I think that Alex should create/customize scripts so they can be used like a classified ads or dating software. I compared many dating software and I ended up with a ASP-based web site using an MS SQL database (that seemed to be the easiest choice in that moment).

Going back to the subject, I’ve seen you do some custom work for $15.00/hour. Do you think that you could temporarily do some Per modification so I can rebuild the pages I need? Let me know how long do you estimate to do that temp mod. If you wish to talk about this privately, I’ll be glad to discuss with you about the mods. My email is rockiniowa@ yahoo. com (I did some spacing intentionally to avoid spiders stealing my email address so it can be added to their email spam databases)

I’ll wait for your kind reply here or over my email account. Thanks,

Carlos
Quote Reply
Not to talk against myself, but if your host is limiting the time length of your CGI processes, then you should change to another hosting service. It would be much-much cheaper, than to develop a Staggered feature for you...

If you still want me to do the Staggered feature, then PM me, so we can discuss the details.

But as mentioned, the cheapest way would be to change to another hosting service, which has Telnet-SSH support, so you can build your site without timeout problem...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Webmaster33,

Thanks again for your kind answer.

Like I mentioned above, if I try to execute the file "Perl nph-build.cgi" alone using Telnet (I do have Telent access), the file will execute, but it won’t exectue properly because this file was modified to work with a substring in the browser.

So the commands “nph-build.cgi?troot=english” or “nph-build.cgi?troot=spanish were initially working in the browser just fine, until my ISP decide to time out some large commands... I don’t really blame them, because my database has become very large, not so much in numbers only, but in link descriptions and keywords.

On the other hand, I really don’t want to leave my ISP, they do a great job in everything else. Plus the fact that is very difficult to find good Web hosting companies these days who also charge a reasonable fee. There are many up there that provide good services, but they are also usually very hight priced too.

Also, I am not in condition to move to Links 2.x right now, because of time and money. I will do that in the future, but when I do that, I will want to get a customized bilingual GT forum with the SQL PPC plugin, all integrated with PHP Nuke. So this is going to cost me much. Not to even redesign all the other html templates... that will take me a lot of time....

So right now, I just want a temporarly solution. I think that the easiest way to do this, is by changing the original nph-build.cgi into two different versions, let’s say “nph-buildSpanish.cgi” and “nph-buildEnglish.cgi.”

This is because although I can use telnet, but I can’t use the command “Perl nph-build.cgi?troot=english” Instead, I’d like a nph-buildEnglish.cgi file, with the assumption that this “troot=english” in the script code. Well I imagine this is not a big custom work, but then I don’t know anything about Perl. So I hope this is not a big mod. I am hoping to get this to keep me going for a few months until my next ugrade.

Please PM me for a quote (or I can contact you too if I find your email). I really don’t think that building a “Staggered build file” will be necessary, just another nph-build.cgi file with the assumption that the troot=english and another when troot=spanish.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Carlos
Quote Reply
If “nph-build.cgi?troot=english” is the only problem, then I believe, you can input these values as arguments from command line. So you can still execute it from SSH/Telnet.

I will check the docs, and come back with solution within a few minutes.

If this SSH/Telnet solution is still not good for you, let me know and I will contact you in PM.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Well, using CGI.pm it works fine:
Code:
perl -wle "use CGI; use Data::Dumper; my $q= new CGI();
my $in= $q->Vars; print Dumper $in;" aaa=bbb

Following result is displayed:
Quote:
$VAR1 = {
'aaa' => 'bbb'
};
So it's parsed well.

I don't know however, if this also works for GT::CGI, too.
Checking...

Will tell you soon.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Checked it.

I checked GT::CGI code, and it's also parsing @ARGV code.

Translating this to human language, this means, you can input the values in SSH/telnet command line like this:
Code:
Perl nph-build.cgi troot=english
or
Perl nph-build.cgi troot=spanish
This should work fine.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Following example shows same solution using GT::CGI:
Code:
perl -wle "use GT::CGI; use Data::Dumper; my $q= new GT::CGI();
my $in= \%{$q->get_hash()}; print Dumper $in;" aaa=bbb

Following result is displayed:
Quote:
$VAR1 = {
'aaa' => 'bbb'
};
So it's parsed well in GT::CGI, too.

Just wanted to show the GT::CGI example, too.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Webmaster33,

I tried that command line in Telent as you mentioned, that is Perl nph-build.cgi troot=english or Perl nph-build.cgi troot=spanish, and they work as if I am trying to run the Perl command alone.

In other words, it seems that I can’t really imput the values troot=spanish or trott=english as arguments, since I’ll get the same results as if I was executing the “perl nph-build.cgi” command alone, that is, w/o without arguments.

I am going to paste the error I get:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Building New Page ...
Warning: Max New links limit of 1,000 exceeded!
Content-type: text/html
<h1>Software error:</h1>
<pre>unable to open what's new page: /big/dom/xperulinks/www/pages//New/index.html.
Reason: No such file or directory at nph-build.cgi line 679.</pre>
<p>
For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error messageand the time
and date of the error.
</p>
[Wed Mar 23 21:51:06 2005] nph-build.cgi: unable to open what's new page:
/big/dom/xperulinks/www/pages//New/index.html.
Reason: No such file or directory at nph-build.cgi line 679.
[perulinks@FQ-Dexter:/big/dom/xperulinks/cgi-bin/admin ]$
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the my own nph-build.cgi file was customized to run in a browser with two different values assigned to “troot,” I really don’t worry too much about the errors messages I get when I don’t assign a value to “troot.”

Besides, the file “www/pages//New/index.html” doesn’t exist because it should have been either “www/pages/english/New/index.html” or “www/pages/spanish/New/index.html” in the first place.

So I guess we might have to work with this a little bit more. From now, if you don’t mind, let me send you a PM, so I can get some quotes from you, and possible to leave you some sensitive information you will need to access my files.

Talk to you later then. You should get a PM message from me very soon.

Carlos
Quote Reply
I will need the nph-build.cgi and the admin/GT/CGI.pm files in the first step.

As the examples above showed, everything should work fine as described.
I suppose your GT::CGI module used in v1.x has a lot differences from the latest one, so if the argument parser is missing, this may cause the errors you got.
Anyway, if the suggested solution doesn't work, then you will need a small fix in nph-build.cgi to solve your problem.

The fix will only work, IF your hosting provider is not killing Perl processes after a longer time. So let's hope, you just faced a browser timeout, and not timed Perl process kills by hosting provider.

Will continue in PM.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Mar 24, 2005, 5:57 AM
Quote Reply
The following changes was needed in your nph-build.cgi:
Code:
$TEMPLATE = $in->param('troot') || 'english';
and
$TEMPLATE = $in->param('troot') || 'spanish';
You wanted 2 separate files, 1 for English, 1 for Spanish.
So I created nph-build_english.cgi and nph-build_spanish.cgi for you.
I uploaded both to your FTP, near the original one.

It's your task to try them out.
You can execute them from Telnet/SSH using nph-build_english.cgi or nph-build_spanish.cgi filenames.
Try out them, and let me know how they works.
These should work as you wanted.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Additional info:
I found out, that your v1.x Links SQL did not have GT library, yet.
So at that time, Alex used the standard CGI.pm module in nph-build.cgi.

Also the param method was used, so I did a test on my system, if this gives the same result as before:
Code:
perl -wle "use CGI; use Data::Dumper; my $q= new CGI();
my $in= $q->param('aaa'); print Dumper $in;" aaa=bbb
Got result: $VAR1 = 'bbb';
Expected exactly this.

EDIT:
I also tested to proposal above on your unix system:
Code:
perl -wle 'use CGI; use Data::Dumper; my $q= new CGI();
my $in= $q->param("aaa"); print Dumper $in;' aaa=bbb
Got result: $VAR1 = 'bbb';
Expected exactly this.

This means, the original suggested solution should work.

But since nph-build_english.cgi or nph-build_spanish.cgi has the problem fixed and should work, so I don't investigate the command line argument based problem further.

Waiting your comments, if nph-build_english.cgi or nph-build_spanish.cgi are working now correctly.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Mar 25, 2005, 3:56 AM
Quote Reply
Webmaster33,

I just tried that file http://www.perulinks.com/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build_english.cgi in the browser, and I got timed out. Not big deal.

But then I try it to excute in Telent, and I got some errors again:

[perulinks@FQ-Dexter:/big/dom/xperulinks/cgi-bin/admin ]$ perl nph-build_englis
h.cgi
Backing up database ...
Backup disabled ... Skipping
Done

Updating vote and hit counters ...
Done (0 s)

Updating new and popular records ...
Marking records added after: '2005-01-24' as new, rest back to old ...
Updated 180 entries to new, 4345 entries back to old ...
Updated 0 entries to modified, 4345 entries back to unmodified ...
Calculating popular cutoff ...
Updated 100 entries to pop ...
Done (1 s)

Calculating category stats ...
10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
110 120 130 140 150 160 170 180 190 200
210 220
Done (6 s)

Building detailed view pages ...
Detailed not enabled ... Skipping
Done

Building Home Page ...
Subcategories: 12
Total Links: 4525
Opening page: /big/dom/xperulinks/www/pages//index.html
Closing page.
Done (2 s)

Building New Page ...
Warning: Max New links limit of 1,000 exceeded!
Content-type: text/html

<h1>Software error:</h1>
<pre>unable to open what's new page: /big/dom/xperulinks/www/pages//New/index.ht
ml. Reason: No such file or directory at nph-build_english.cgi line 679.</pre>
<p>
For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message
and the time and date of the error.

</p>
[Fri Mar 25 07:01:57 2005] nph-build_english.cgi: unable to open what's new page
: /big/dom/xperulinks/www/pages//New/index.html. Reason: No such file or directo
ry at nph-build_english.cgi line 679.

[perulinks@FQ-Dexter:/big/dom/xperulinks/cgi-bin/admin ]$

So I don't know why in the browser it works well, but I get time out (the original problem), and in Telent I still get the same errors. The error says that:

"pages//New/index.html" doesnt exist.

So it should have been

"pages/english/New/index.html"

So it appears to me that the site triest to run in Telnet w/o any regard to the values of troot (in last example troot)

Now line 679 is a comment, actually:
# Crete the new page, and do a bit of HTML work for the main page.

So the error must be after that... or right before that that line 679... Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Carlos
Quote Reply
Analyzing ... Problem found. Fixed.
Reporting soon...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Mar 25, 2005, 5:10 AM
Quote Reply
Ok, now the report.

Got the problem source.
The nph-build.cgi script was detecting if we execute it from Telnet/SSH.
Thus it ignored any input we give through the command line. So I took out the condition to allow your special case working.

Now I updated nph-build_english.cgi and nph-build_spanish.cgi.
Executed them, and both runned correctly until the end.

Also I uploaded nph-build.cgiFIXED file, which allows you to use my originally suggested solution:
(I didn't want to overwrite your original one, so use nph-build.cgiFIXED filename)
Code:
./nph-build.cgi troot=english
or
./nph-build.cgi troot=spanish
Just rename nph-build.cgiFIXED to nph-build.cgi (overwriting your original one so backup if needed).

So now you have 4 solutions to use:
Code:
./nph-build.cgi troot=english
and
./nph-build.cgi troot=spanish

or

./nph-build_english.cgi
and
./nph-build_spanish.cgi
Test it yourself, and let me know if you are satisfied.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Webmaster 33,

The nph-build.cgi script was detecting if we execute it from Telnet/SSH? I guess that's was the problem. I could have never thought that. OK, I will try to rebuild it later... I am moving to a new house today... it's a pain in the @!*=$-%@ (that was Perl code too he he he).

Talk to you later then. Thanks,

Carlos

Quote Reply
Quote:
The nph-build.cgi script was detecting if we execute it from Telnet/SSH?
Yepp. It checked if REQUEST_METHOD is used, otherwise assume Telnet/SSH is used.

Quote:
I guess that's was the problem.
One of the 2 problems.
Which one caused my "nph-build.cgi troot=english" command line solution not working.

Quote:
I am moving to a new house today.
Waiting you back after you were able to assemble your computer again in your new home. Cool
Have a nice move (geeesh, moving is really a big pain...). Wink

But. Always look the bright side of life! Cool

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
All Good Now In reply to
Hello Webmaster33,

I was just moving some small staff. I will leave my computer alone for a while because it's going to take one week to move my Internet connection to my new house. It's just a headache, but like you said, the bride side of the story is when I am done I'll have much more room :)

About that nph-build.cgi, well the telent command nph-build.cgi troot=english still don't work but I don't care because the new building scripts work just fine. That is, I can successfully execute the file nph-build_english.cgi, and all my pages will be done on the fly. So thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate. Let me know if I owe you some time.

I got another project you might be interested in doing since you got already your hands "dirty" like they say here... Maybe should be careful ussing these American expressions... because according to the Bible, this means something else. What I meant is that since you got already familiar with my site and got my passwords, I am going to describe you another project you might be interested in Doing. Let you know in next message. I will use this public help since you charge half the money for doing it here than in private....

Carlos
Quote Reply
Re: [rockiniowa] All Good Now In reply to
Quote:
the telent command nph-build.cgi troot=english still don't work
Because you might have miss my comment, that I did not overwrite your original nph-build.cgi.

Rename nph-build.cgiFIXED to nph-build.cgi (overwriting your original one so make backup if needed).
Try it out. It's also fixed now.

Quote:
That is, I can successfully execute the file nph-build_english.cgi, and all my pages will be done on the fly. So thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate. Let me know if I owe you some time.
I'm glad you are satisfied. No, you don't owe me anything. You paid for my help, and I gladly helped you.
I would like to always help people for free, but in that case I would face the problem, that I would have no money to live.

Quote:
I got another project you might be interested in doing since you got already your hands "dirty" like they say here... Maybe should be careful ussing these American expressions... because according to the Bible, this means something else. What I meant is that since you got already familiar with my site and got my passwords, I am going to describe you another project you might be interested in Doing. Let you know in next message. I will use this public help since you charge half the money for doing it here than in private....
Okay.
As you know, I'm doing my diploma work, so I have less time for big jobs, but I'm open for paid support, globals or some custom plugin work.

Let me know what kind of project do you mean. You should open a new thread for it, as this subject is fixed now.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] All Good Now In reply to

Hello again Webmaster33,

I will give describe these two mini projects you might be interested in doing. It's still with this Links 1.X version. I KNOW I SHOULD UPGRADE TO 2.X, but I just don't have the time now.

However, this two problems seem to be short for a Perl programmer with some experience in Links SQL.

Problem One.
If you go to category "english/Business_and_Economy/Companies/" You will notice that all the all the companies sites are sorted alfabetically. However, in the Spanish version, they will be arranged also alphabetically but in the alphabetic order of it’s categories names in English.

Le me explain this problem with an example. The names of the two first subcategories in the category “Companies” are (1) Accounting, and (2) Agriculture. So they are sorted like that because that’s how this subcategories are sorted alphabetically in English.

However, these two subcategories in Spanish are called (1) Contabilidad, and (2) Agricultura. So in the Spanish version of the site, you will see “Contabilidad” before “Agricultura.” Using just these two subscategories as an example, it should have been (1) “Agricultura” first, because it starts with an “A,” and “Contabilidad” second because this word starts with “C”

So I need to fix that so the formating of the categories in Spanish will be sorted according to the words in Spanish, not in English. Again, the categories in the English part of the site work just fine.

Problem Two:
If you go to category “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/” You will see at the end of the page that a “related category” is “Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture.” There are two problems with this last link in the first category.

First, the cat “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/” is in the Spanish version of the site, so the text and hyper link should be in Spanish and linked to a related Spanish categorory.

So when you fix this, at the bottom of the category “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/” I should see a link with the text of the related category that in this case is “Artes y Humanidades : Cultura Andina.”

Also, right now this category link goes to a URL “pages/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html”, but this is the way the cat url would have been read if I didn’t have any mods. So between the folders “pages” and “Arts_and_Humanities” there should have a folder called “spanish.” So the correct link should have been “pages/spanish/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html”

Also, the ENGLISH category section url pages/english/Arts_and_Humanities/Amazonian_Culture/, the text of the Related Category link is “Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture” In this case, this is a URL path, it should have been “Arts and Humanities: Coastal Culture” not “Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture.”

Also, this text hyperlink points or links to “pages/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html”. It should point to “pages/english/Arts_and_Humanities/Coastal_Culture/index.html” So again, that folder “english” that is in the folder “pages” is again missing. If you click in that link you’ll get an error message.

So Webmaster33, how much would you charge me for each of these two projects (to chose one or two), and also let me know how much you would charge me fixing these two problems together.

Thanks and I’ll be waiting for your kind reply with estimate.

Carlo
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] All Good Now In reply to
Webmaster33,

It seems that we both wrote the last two messages almost at the same time because by the time I posted my last one you have already posted your other one and I had not read that one... So let me know about that thread...

Carlos
Quote Reply
Re: [rockiniowa] 2 problems In reply to
Post the problems into separate threads.
I will answer here just shortly.

Problem 1) sort alfabetically, correctly according accents.
Being Hungarian, I had similar problems on my website, so I can help you in this problem. The solution may vary from really simple mysql based solution, to difficulter custom modifications in the core code.
The estimated time vary from below 1 hour, to several hours. I can estimate better if check your mysql database & I analyze the code.
Analyzation should be the max 1 hour, then I can tell you the rest.

Problem 2) related links to match the current language
This should be easily fixed, below 1 hour.

Post these questions again into new threads to avoid mixing the topics.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] 2 problems In reply to
Webmaster33,

Please give me a few days to just get over a few issues I have pending and I will post the question again over a new thread.

Thanks,

Carlos