Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

trippin' on mysql.socks error

Quote Reply
trippin' on mysql.socks error
System: RedHat 7.0
Problem: When I click on a hyperlink (which is referrenced by jump.cgi at the bottom status bar), I get the following error:

DBSQL (6659): Fatal Error: Unable to connect to the SQL server. Reason: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111) at /var/www/cgi-bin/jump.cgi line 65

So it appears it cannot for some reason connect to MySQL, and the reason quite possibly is that when I go emacs mysql.sock in '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock', there is nothing in that file.. yet, when I ran 'perl /setup/setup.cgi' to set everything up it didn't report any problems.

Is there a DBD::Mysql module that could have gone missing here, 'somehow' ? I used CPAN to load mysql-msql-modules whatever, along with DBI.

Now I am totally dumbfounded.

Any links you provide would be greatly appreciated for download of whatever it is I may need.

Super Dope thanks,

Daywizard

linux rocks.
Quote Reply
Re: trippin' on mysql.socks error In reply to
I don't know if you tried searching the LINKS SQL forums, but I believe this was addressed in this forum and also in the LINKS SQL Discussion Forum. Search for mysql sock using the following search criteria in the forum's search form:

Forum: Links SQL v1.3
Keywords: mysql sock
Options: And
Date Range: All posts
Hits: 200

The default options in the search form do not produce the best results.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Default options have now been changed. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
ALEX! :) Default Options have been changed. What precisely are you referring to my good man. I need you to be explicit. I have yet to start using AI, fuzzy logic, or other advanced neurosystems.

In short, I have not found an answer yet. We are talking RH 7.0, we are talking MySQL that comes with it, we are talking Links SQL, we are talking, jump cant talk to mysql, and mysql.socks is empty.

:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default options have now been changed. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

linux rocks.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Sorry, that was a reply to AnthroRules post about search options on this forum. =)

The can't connect usually indicates that mysql is not running or is hung. Try restarting the mysql server. If mysql is running and you can connect to it via shell, then most likely the DBD::mysql is not installed properly, and should be reinstalled.

Hope that helps,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I know this problem with SuSE 7.0 and SuSE 7.1
Normally i install mysql in /usr/local/mysql per hand.
The problem now is that if you use the compiled version of php for example that this would like to have the socket in another place like /var/lib...

Two solutions:
One is to compile all the things you need with the right pathes for yourself.
The easy way is to set up a sym-link from the normal place to /var/lib ...

Robert