Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

sql setup what know

Quote Reply
sql setup what know
hi
alex has already setup links sql administration menu and i read it all but
were do i go from here.how do i start my
spider and get going.we purchased a world market account but have received no info on
how to use the spider.

thanks for all the help
zbales@makeitfun.com
Quote Reply
Re: sql setup what know In reply to
spider? Links SQL doesn't have a spider...

:|

jerry
Quote Reply
what does links sql have, If it doesn't have
a spider. How do we create our search engine then can someone please help us out, we are very confused on using your product.

Thanks,
zbales@makeitfun.com
Quote Reply
links sql is a directory.. you add links and they are categorized.. like yahoo..

jerry
Quote Reply
I was under the impression that links sql was a spider which after u gave it the specifics information it actually went out and got the links for U, am i wrong or all it is a piece of software where u have to put in the links by hand. So what is the use of having this software and what does it do for us then if we have to input the links our selves.
Thanks,
zbales
Quote Reply
Links is not a spider -- neither version is.

You have to enter the links into the database through some other means -- either by using the admin feature or having your visitors add their own sites. LinkSQL also has a program to parse the Open Directory database into your setup.

What Links is is exactly what it says -- it's a link-management system. It allows you to enter the links in just about any format you'd like -- with as much commentary as you'd like -- then output them in a format you like using templates.

My feeling is if you don't understand the basics of what this product is, or can do, then you should do a bit more investigation on what it takes to run a "links" site -- whether it's a spidered site, or a directory site.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
It lets you mantain a directory of links and sites focused to your area of expertise Smile

Or you can go yahoo-style and make a big directory with a bunch of links.

Why would you like to grab links from another site and make a mirror or a copy?

Emilio