Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

What does moving Links SQL to a new server involve?

Quote Reply
I am currently using a virtual host, and I need to switch to a dedicated server. Is this going to be a big hassle? Will it be easier to have Alex do it for me? When I purchased SQL, I had Alex install it for me, so I have no idea how it works.

Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: What does moving Links SQL to a new server involve? In reply to
If you are on the same ISP, they should be able to move you over without affecting anything.

If you had a virtual domain, it should work without changing anything except the _PATH_ to the various directories that are defined in the Links.pm file.

Usually on a virtual host your physical location is not the same as the location on a dedicated host...

ie:

http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/Links/admin/admin.cgi

is the same on both servers, but the physical Unix path would be different:

On a virtual server, it's usually below your user directory:

/usr/homes/your_id/www/public_html/cgi-bin/Links/admin/admin.cgi

while on a dedicated server it could be

/www/cgi-bin/Links/admin/admin.cgi

Or the default location for Apache:

/usr/local/apache/htdocs/cgi-bin/Links/admin/admin.cgi

If your ISP is hosting the MySQL database for you, the connections should be the same over the network.

Of course, if you know nothing about any of this, or anything about software or scripts or file directories, you can see if your ISP can move your files over for you, or you might need some help from Alex or a consultant.

Quote Reply
When I had Links 2.0 I did everything myself.. I just didn't know if installing SQL was much different because of the MySQL part. I don't have a problem with changing the paths or figuring out what they are.

I think I have to basically start from scratch with my new server, so I'll have to install mySQL and whatever else I need before I can get started. If anyone has any general tips that you think would help, please let me know. Right now I don't have any specific questions because I haven't tried anything yet.

Thanks
Quote Reply
I need help with a more basic issue of:

getting the names of web hosters that members of the LINKS SQL community have had very positive experiences with in terms of the WEB HOSTERS familiarity with and appreciation of LINKS SQL.

I really would appreciate help on this topic!

Thanks.
Quote Reply
ty227 and those interested in recommending hosts -

That topic is already being discussed here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um9/HTML/000872.html

The current topic is
Quote:

If anyone has any suggestions regarding that, please share Smile

[This message has been edited by AtoZ (edited April 04, 2000).]