Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Questions about Links SQL...

Quote Reply
Questions about Links SQL...
I am interested in buying this software!
But I have a few doubts!
Am I able to install it on more than one server? If so Alex, do you do it or I have to install the second in my own?
Do I receive the zip file too or you just install it?
Today, I use my Password Modify mod in my links 2., so my database has an extra field for the password. Is it difficult to modify this mod to work with Links SQL?
Does the Category name allows nonenglish characters?
Is there a "Search only in this cat" mod?

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Questions about Links SQL... In reply to
Hi,

1. No, your license allows only one installation of the program (much like normal software). You'll need to purchase a second license if you want to setup another copy.

2. You will receive a zip file if you ever need to set things up again, but we will also do the install for you.

3. Adding a password field is quite easy, however you will need to redo the mod, it's not part of Links SQL. How easy/difficult it is depends on your perl skill.

4. The category name does allow non english characters. It will replace any non english characters with an underscore. If you want all non english (i.e. you don't just want an accent, but instead are using Big5 or GD encoding, etc), there is an option to use the category ID number as the directory name instead of the category name.

5. No, there's isn't a search only in this cat mod yet.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks for the info Alex...

Ok, I can make the mod!
Another simple question!
Today in Links 2.0 I add a lot of links offline, I mean, I use a script to get links from another page, (its legal cause I´ve talked with the webmaster) and then I submit it to my db..
Can I do it with the SQL and if yes, is it easy?

Thanks...
Quote Reply
Hey Alex, can you clarify this to me??

Quote Reply
There is an import option where you can import from either a textarea box, or a file, a list of delimited links. This makes it easy to gather links offline, then just import them into Links SQL all at once.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks, but which version are you using?

I am still using the one Alex installed for me a couple of months back and I do not see the options you referance.

Thanks again for your time and assistanec(s).

John

[This message has been edited by JohnCarter (edited October 11, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Alex:
Where are all these import options located? The only source I know of in SQL is the setup features for initial installs to pull from Links 2.0.

Please advise.

Thanks;

John
Quote Reply
In the Admin area, go to the last options, and click on whatever table you want to import to. On the Right, a list of options will appear, with an SQL Monitor and Import option.

Don't forget to "re-index" after the import, just to make sure everything is recognized.
Quote Reply
This is the version that was released 2 weeks ago. It brought together a lot of the features asked for to that time.

If you are still using the 1.0 version, you should really upgrade. If you can't deal with SQL, though, it may pay to wait for the next release so that you only have to do it once.