Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Print Sub Categories on homepage?

Quote Reply
Print Sub Categories on homepage?
Does anyone know how to get the sub categories to print on the index page underneath the main category like was done in Links 2.0? I couldn't find anything in the forum on it.

Thanks,

Kyle
Quote Reply
Re: Print Sub Categories on homepage? In reply to
You do it exactly like you do in Links 2. Just put the appropriate HTML in the description field for the Category.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

Perhaps I'm thinking of something different. I thought there was a way to have the subcategories automatically be listed under the main category as we see at yahoo.com.

so, if I have a category called Computers and subcategories called IBM and Compaq that on the home page I would see something like

Computers
IBM,Compaq

and all three would be autmatically generated and would link to the appropriate pages.

In other words, I thought there was a way to use a subcategory tag like <%subcategories%>.

If this isn't available, any ideas on how to do it?

Peace.

Kyle

------------------
Quote Reply
Hi Kyle, I'm having the same dilemna and have been trying to locate some how-to info. Since I had never used Links 2.0, I am at a loss on how to make changes on the display of SQL pages.

I'm trying to use the snap templates (overall look) and incorporate the yahoo functionality for the subcategory listings.

Please post any fixes, methods you may discover (I will too!) and hopefully we'll come up with how to make the changes.

------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Karen

[This message has been edited by Karen (edited January 24, 2000).]
Quote Reply
You simply enter in the HTML. So for description in Computers you put:

<a href="/Computers/Compaq/">Compaq</a> ...
<a href="/Computers/IBM">IBM</a>

and then it will show up linked underneath Computers category.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex,

In other words, are you saying that the listings can not be automatically generated?

Sorry to be such a pain about this, It's just that there are going to be a lot of subcategories, so it would be nice if they were autogenerated.

Thanks for you quick responses on this subject.

Peace.

Kyle
Quote Reply
[deleted]

Sorry posted to the wrong thread..

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited January 25, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

I am also very interested in that feature.
But I dont have an idea how to generate a tag like <%linked_subcats%> which i can insert in the category description field, by changing the sub toolbar in DBSQL??

Regards Alexander