Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

One big confusion ad one little confusion

Quote Reply
One big confusion ad one little confusion
  Firstly, I want to ask a simple question, How would you check http://www.yahoo.com is laready in your database or not?
Before I add link, if I don't want overlap I will type the part of url or whole url to search under the user interface, however in LinksSQL, if you put the url to the search box to search, you will find nothing!! Pls try! What's wrong?

The other question: Although the LinksSQL have one routine for Non-English Cat, however, the search function doesn't support to search non-english links title or links description... any non-english users have encountered this error?

I want to find solutions for these two questions, because I've paid US$450 to buy it and paid a little money to my hosting company to setup MySQL..

I am a old user who use links1.0, it run everything well, except the speed when the links number and cat numbers grow, if any body can suggest solution or give comment on it, it will be highly appreciated!!

Thanks all!
Quote Reply
Re: One big confusion ad one little confusion In reply to
I tried to reply to this and crashed, so let me try again Smile

URL Indexing.

If you go to the bottom of the right colum of the admin screen, and click on 'links' then 'edit table definition' and set the _LAST_ column of the URL field to '1' (don't forget to click the update box on the field) then apply the changes, links will parse the URL and insert them as keys.

Re-Index the database, and it should work.

You'll have a bunch of useless keys, like vanity domains and such, but you can always set the index field back to '0' and re-index the database and remove them.

That's probably the easiest way of doing that.

Quote Reply
Hi pugdog,
Excellent, what a stupid I am?! Smile
However, I still have one problem, if you have any idea about index field (1-10). This question is "If the links URL is "www.yahoo.com" , however, it still got no matching, if I put yaho or yah to search box", I think it is not a good maner to set the meatching requirement so low, but I just want to learn how to set the matching requirement as low as possible (i.e. just a little words can got a lot of result which is just part of match).

Let me tell you why I need this matching routine, because I am using non-english version, and my title or description is something like that "XXYYZZCCVVRREE" not like english has spacing between each words, so I need the search sensitive is so high, then users just put XXY or VVR or ZZC to get the this links in result, any comment?
Quote Reply
Ok,

What you are asking for is a 'fuzzy match', and that logic is not included in Links.

Maybe Alex has some ideas on that, or pointers to routines to find it.

What I would do, in your case, is rather than "www.yahoo.com" just search on the domain name ... ie: "yahoo"

If you put "yaho" and click the 'substring' option on the search field. For your search boxes, you can set that as a default by just adding the parameter to the 'form' tag.
Quote Reply
Thanks!
Yupe, I am looking for Fuzzy search in linksSQL.
Alex, Do you have any idea?
Quote Reply
Hi,

First off when searching in the admin, Links SQL defaults to whole word matching. So to match 'http://www.yahoo.com' you would need to enter it in exactly. If you put in 'yahoo' and turn off whole word matching, it's a little slower but will work.

As for chinese characters, do you know how to split a sentance into words? We are working on a solution and I'll update this shortly..

Cheers,

Alex