Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

New version - beta?

Quote Reply
New version - beta?
Hi,

I'm currently 'holding' for the upgrade and wondered if I'll be able to use it straight away? or will there be a beta, then testing, then fixing, then re-testing, etc. that will go on for a while after the initial release?

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
Re: New version - beta? In reply to
It is my understanding that the version released to all LINKS SQL license holders will be BETA, and a stable version will be released later in August or early September.

Haven't you read the other Threads about the new version and also Alex's announcement in the Announcement forum?

Man, you are impatient! This is like the third or fourth thread you have posted about this!

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
Eliot,

I have read the announcements and other related threads, but I've simply been trying to gauge whether I should launch with the Links SQL V1.1 stable I already have or hold-on for the upgrade.

On 30th July I stopped submissions to my Links V1 (non-sql) site whilst GT installed Links SQL for me (so I didn't have to constantly update the validation databases), expecting to be back up again in a couple of weeks ... then came the announcement that a further upgrade was due on July 15th so I thought I'd hang-on to include the upgrade ... made perfect sense to me at the time - why re-launch when an upgrade is a week or so away?

Unfortunately the upgrade didn't come on time - I'm not bitch'in or moaning about that, I understand perfectly that things sometimes don't go quite to plan and can take a little while longer than expected - so I thought I'd wait a while to see what happened with the upgrade. If, as you mention, it won't be in stable form until some time around September, then thats the best indication I've had so far as to how long I can expect to wait to include it.

This is why I think my problem (and other's who've only recently had LSQL installed) is a little different to those who have working versions already in action.

I'd also like to know about some of the features of the upgrade as it may effect the way I manage the site and how many categories, etc. I add to it - I've posted a thread about it - but nothing happened, no clear indication from anyone at GT about what's going to change and what features are being added. I can get and idea from some of the threads, but nothing concrete. I appreciate that as its not finished yet there won't be a definitive feature list, but there must be some features that can be announced now?

I suppose all I'm really looking for is an indication, or assurance, that if I go ahead and relaunch now with LSQL V1.1 stable I won't have too much re-working to do to when the upgrade comes out. Yes, I am impatient, but I'd expected the conversion to LSQL to take a max. of three weeks and the upgrade announcement sort of changed everything a bit.

Don't get me wrong, no-one is to blame, its just circumstances and peculiar timing, and I'm looking forward to the upgrade with as much anticipation as everyone else. Now you've given me a good idea of time-scale I think I'll just get going and relaunch with V1.1 stable (which I'm really excited about) and deal with the upgrade later! Smile

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
If you are launching with a stable, relatively unmodified copy of links 1.11, then you won't have a problem upgrading.

The next version will most likely need to make some new tables, and add fields to the old tables (a problem if you are already adding tables and fields, you might duplicate them).

But, because of the dynamic nature of the database extractions, that shouldn't be a problem.

My caution/patience in waiting for the next release is due to my need to start doing some heavy modification. I _know_ those won't be portable, and I may really be locking myself into the next version of links as it stands (though I hope I can keep upgrading the modules, and leave my application alone).

I would say go ahead and deploy it, but don't start adding in too many things you'll have to hack into the new release code.

It's almost a sure thing that the code will be completely different, with the new category logic, and other features that have been added.

Your data won't be affected, since that has been taken into account for the 'upgrade' process.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Pugdog & Eliot - I've decided to go ahead. Although I have done some mods, its more layout than PERL so I'm confident I can re-apply most of it to the new version. I'm sure there'll be a couple of "I wish I had that before" moments, but that's going to be the same for everyone I guess!

Thanks again for the help and support.

I'd just like to say that the GT forums are one of the best 'extras' I've ever had with a package - so much advice, support and encouragement, and all for free Smile

Quote Reply
Welp...those changes should be easy to apply to the next version...you may have to change some parameters, but we will not for sure until the next version is released on August 4th.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Those "extras" are exactly why I became a member of the "family".

I got a lot of help from the people in the Links 2.0 area, before I moved to the SQL version. Very few programs have garnered the same type of support that GT's "links" programs have.

I have to say that PERL and SQL, and this program in particular have made programming fun again for me. I spent years wandering through "windows" with C/C++/DELPHI/VB/etc and I was not having any FUN. The only problems I have now, are my windows-based browsers crashing, not my programs! :)

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/