Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Netscape formating?

Quote Reply
Netscape formating?
I have been working with Links SQL for four weeks now and I am having a difficult time getting the pages created by Links to display correctly in Netscape. It seems that some of the margins in the CSS work and some don't. Any help will be much appreciated. The site can be viewed at www.montanasearch.com.

Thank you ahead of time.

------------------
JWB
Quote Reply
Re: Netscape formating? In reply to
the quick answer -- get rid of stylesheets Smile

It makes it much harder to format pages unless you know what browser a person is using. MSIE and Netscape act on things differently.

Most often it's seen with tables and layers, but margins probably fit right in there.

With only two browsers left in the browser wars, some standardization is probably going to happen in the next few releases -- but for now, it's a lot of trouble to use CSS and when you switch browsers you are often in for a big surprise.

Quote Reply
Have other web developers had problems with this issue? I don't know if I am willing to give up the CSSs. I like the capabilities that they offer. Any other suggestions?

------------------
JWB
Quote Reply
style sheets are a pain although they were made to be useful..

they don't work with many browsers and the browsers that do work always mess up one thing or another.. (microsoft is always the best though)..

i don't think they are still developing css anymore..

jerry
Quote Reply
Since they are not developing CSS anymore, do I need to strip out all CSS code and program each template individually. Which can be done but it could be a burden in time. Is there a replacement for CSSs? I know that sounds like a stupid question but I am unaware. Been stuck in Microsoft mode for so long. Ya know what I mean. I guess I could just say that the Netscape users can just suffer but that would leave out a whole lot of potential clients. Let me know. And thanks for the information.

------------------
JWB
Quote Reply
just take the css tag off all the template pages.. then you'll have a bunch of class= tags to get rid of.. but that can be done over time as it doesn't affect it if it's not changed..

i simply just do all the html.. it does make the code longer.. but i don't mind..

jerry
Quote Reply
I must correct you, widgetz! The CSS standards are indeed being developed, and are an important part of the work of the World Wide Web Consortium. See http://www.w3.org/Style/ for more about W3Cs efforts.

Having said this, the problem we as web developers are facing is that we have to build something that people can look at with today's browsers. Netscape stinks, Microsoft is a little better, Opera is the best, but is not used by many ...

There's an interesting rant about this at A List Apart -"The Day The Browser Died", see http://www.alistapart.com/stories/died/index.html

I like his conclusion:
"Maybe if more of us start making pages the way we could, instead of the way we've been forced to, the Web will get well a little sooner."

Use CSS. Join http://www.webstandards.org/ .
Quote Reply
I think it kind of odd to see someone on M$ side as adhering to standards....

But, since half my users use Netscape, and I _LIKE_ the way Netscape displays the pages much better than MSIE (it interprets HTML very differently) I'm not going to use style sheets.

I still don't use frames, and most browsers support frames. Just because I can, doesn't mean I should.

I can get very precise layout with standard HTML -- sure -- it means a little more work, but the formatting language is doing what it's supposed to -- format my pages.

If I wanted 'style' I'd wear designer jeans.

Style sheets are still not 'here'. One day they might be, and they'll layer on top of HTML, or maybe even replace it. HTML was a very simple concept that has been asked to do Herculean things.

And, I don't agree at all with his conclusions. Style sheets are still leading edge, and until the rest of the world catches up, there are going to be problems. You don't get on a high horse and start taking sides.

He had an axe to grind, and he did.

Quote Reply
weird.. i wasn't posting to this thread Smile

jerry

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited November 11, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I thank all of you for your advice. I see that there are options. I guess from now on I will try CSS and program the pages more by hand.

Thanks once again for all your help. I think I will try opera and see how it works. How are its security features?

------------------
JWB
Quote Reply
Hello!

You may also want to learn an option to get rid of CSS and insert a similar thing into Links.pm Wink
Quote Reply
I've used a mix of CSS and HTML. I've been hand-coding HTML since about Day 2 -- at least 5 or 6 years now. But then again, I also used that IBM text formatter that used '.' commands to format text and found the switch to WYSIWYG to be confusing Wink

I use the HTML to do major page layout. The most important thing is to get tables to align properly since MSIE and NS show things differently, and handle errors differently.

It's a matter of trial and error. I started with the templates included, and reworked them extensively, adding white-space and formatting for the Human readers and removing most of the CSS codes. One place I've left them is INSIDE tables... sicne once the tables are properly defined the CSS tags seem to have less overriding effects.