Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Need a count of how many e-mail subscribers in LinkSQL

Quote Reply
Need a count of how many e-mail subscribers in LinkSQL
Hello.

I recently purchased LInkSQL. I do know how to set it up in Link20 using the following info:
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/001420.html)

It doesn't work in LinkSQL. I would appreciate it if someone can help me on this matter.

Charles
Quote Reply
Re: Need a count of how many e-mail subscribers in LinkSQL In reply to
First, create a new database object:

$db = new Links: BSQL "$LINKS{admin_root_path}/defs/Subscribe.def";

Then, ask for the total() from that:

$total = $db->total();

I just copied this from one of the programs (jump.cgi) and changed the table name. When you have a problem, the best thing to do is to look in the code for a similar solution. You know Links figures out the total links, it gives it to you in GRANDTOTAL, so work backwards.

DBSQL.pm is very powerful.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Thank you for your support, Pugdog!!

After I bought my LinkSQL, I started visting LinkSQL forum quite often. I noticed that you are helping lots of people here. I would like to ask you a personal favor if you don't mind.

I am trying to import some data in Open Directory Project file. But, I just found out that ODP file exceeds 400 MB. As I have a shared web hosting account, it will be very hard.

All I need is information under

Top: Business: Venture Capital

(total of 791)

Pugdog! I would really appreciate it if you can allow me to have the above data.

Sincerely,

Charles
Quote Reply
<thundering hooves> Alex to the rescue!

If you have your download password, there is a new parse_rdf file in the downloads area, that will take the 80 meg file, and gzip it, and parse it on the fly. You _may_ be able to do that on a shared host.

I'm still looking at a way to automatically cut up the rdf file, but I was never good at this sort of thing. As an exercise later today, I'm going to look at the parse_rdf file, and see if I can't modify it to chop up the content.txt file into the various top categories. Some will still be large, but it will certainly be smaller!!

If I can't do this, I'll email the subset to you later. That won't be too hard Smile

I really need to do this, since it's something everyone seems to want, and most people don't have the resources.

I've been thinking about the development system for the past month. Doing it right (the only way I'd want to do it) I figure my _costs_ for adding a server and bandwidth would be about $400/month (most of that is hardware cost, I have the bandwidth) to make all the various resources available -- including pre-parsed dmoz/content.txt and all the various flavors of things to do with LinkSQL like running mod_perl, dual-apache, and the other enhancements, so that's my baseline figure to set it up. I don't want to make it "advertiser" supported, with banner ads, and buttons (I think that detracts a bit), but that may be the only way to go. Since this is a fairly targeted audience, albeit a "business" and "power user" audience, I don't think the advertising revenues would be there.

The current FAQ consumes virtually no resources, but it has to share the configuration of my main server -- so I can't do anything funky to it <G>. The Link SQL developer resource project would need it's own machine, so if we tried something and took the machine down, I don't kill my main business. That's my concern.

Right now, anything I do with Links has to run nice and safely within it's own virtual machine, it can't potentially affect the whole server -- such as compiling in mod_perl.

If anyone has ideas, I'm open Smile I won't be adding my second server for a few months, at that time, I probably will compile in mod_perl, etc, and can run this on that box, but I don't have a definite launch date. If I could square away the funding (and gauge the interest) I could set up the other server in a 10-14 days.

For those of you who think it could be done more cheaply -- yes, it could. But the whole point of the effort would be lost. The goal is to find out what LinkSQL _can_ do, without having to fight for resources, or make extrapolations. The OS of choice would be Linux (since most people have access to that) the hardware is another story -- Intel or Sun? Single or Dual? <G> These are much more difficult issues to address, which is why I haven't "just done it" as the saying goes.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Dear Pugdog,

Thanks a lot for paying attention to my request. If it works out, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Charles