Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Modify Account - Doesn't Work...

Quote Reply
Modify Account - Doesn't Work...
When I am trying to modify user accounts I get the following error:

There were problems modifying the record: Unable to modify the following records:
imphal
Password (Can not be left blank)
Status (Can not be left blank)
Name (Can not be left blank)
Address (Can not be left blank)
Has_Bought_Online (Can not be left blank)
Surname (Can not be left blank)

This is when they have all got data in, and are not blank.

Quote Reply
Re: Modify Account - Doesn't Work... In reply to
Try resyncing your DEF file from the Admin area.

I've hit these errors before, and they still pop up, and usually it's something with the .def file.

Sometimes, the fields in the .def file don't match the changes made to the table, or something. A resync is the first step to solving the problems.

Quote Reply
I tried this. It didn't work

Quote Reply
WHere is this happening? In the admin? Or in a form on the site?

Sometimes this will happen if the <FORM> variables that are being passed in do not match the field names in either or both the .def file and the database table.

What's happening is the values in the screen form (either admin or user form) are being passed to the validate routine and the values being passed in do not match what is in the .def file and/or the def file or values don't match the database table fields.

Follow the data path. Make sure the fields are being passed properly, then that the .def file and the table fields all match.

I've wrestled with this stuff many times (because I make most of my changes to the database/tables outside of Links) and almost every time it was something wrong with the .def file -- wrong table, wrong database, wrong key, wrong field names, wrong order, etc. The other times it was the field names in the form didn't match up. Remember, case is important.

A quick and dirty way to see whether the problem is the def file or the database/fields values is to change the NOT NULL parameter to no for all the fields. No validity or value checking is done. If that works, then it's the .def file somehow. If that doesn't work, then the field names probably don't match the .def or table field names.

That's the best guess without going over the error and the source code.

Quote Reply
Hi,

Thanks for that. I am still really confused about all this. Can you tell me what I should do. This is happening in the admin

Quote Reply
Can you email me how to get to your admin screen. It's probably fairly simple, but there are a few things that need to be checked. It still sounds like a problem with the .def file though.

Quote Reply
I sent you the def file, did you not receive it.?

Quote Reply
Looking at the .def file, all the fields are marked "not null" so the problem has to be in what's being passed. They match the error message.

You'll need to make sure that your table matches the fields in the .def file.

Quote Reply
ok, thanks for that. What do I need to do now?

Quote Reply
I have looked through the names in the admin and the ones in the .def file and they all match.

What else could it be?

Quote Reply
I have found out something interested about this problem. When I modify a user one by one it works. When I tick the 'modify multiple user' box and edit multiple accounts it doesn't work and comes up with that error:There were problems modifying the record:

Unable to modify the following records:
imphal
Password (Can not be left blank)
Status (Can not be left blank)
Name (Can not be left blank)
Address (Can not be left blank)
Has_Bought_Online (Can not be left blank)
Surname (Can not be left blank)

Can someone help me a.s.a.p. as this is very important.

Cheers =)

Quote Reply
This sounds like it's one for Alex!

I've never tried to modify multiple users... but I've modified multiple other things without a problem.