Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Links SQL and an awesome web host!

Quote Reply
Links SQL and an awesome web host!
   www.communitech.net

I plan on using their services, they offer a free UBB, mod_perl and of course mySQL.

All for ~$30.00 US a month, and everything is included with a lot more other free features.

You will not be disappointed!

OKAY MAYBE YOU WILL !! Smile

[This message has been edited by wesley (edited September 28, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Links SQL and an awesome web host! In reply to
I am using communitech.net. Have you set up LinksSQL on their server yet?
Quote Reply
Are you sure about mod_perl on a virtual account? I've yet to see this done due to the nature of mod_perl.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
No I haven't set LinksSQL up on their server yet, anxiously awaiting sponsorship! I know I will probably need some help with the installation however.

Alex
I had asked CommuniTech a few questions about the certain modules you recommend for LinksSQL and they informed me mod_perl was installed. (Whoa, just realized they also offer dedicated servers, I didn't state Virtual Server - something like this make a difference? - will check!)
I must say I am no expert in this field but I do have fun with it.
What kind of problems would there be with mod_perl on a virtual server?

Thanks Alex

[This message has been edited by wesley (edited September 26, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hello!

I have installed Links SQL and my provider is www.pair.com

I have to pay $21.00 (25% discount on a pre-payment). They are the best. There is no host that gives such a service. For this I have

-120 MB space
-MySQL
-mSQL
-PHP3
-full ysytem cgi
-1GB traffic per day
++++ a lot

I never understood why Alex made arrangement with somebody else for such a high price hosting plan.
Quote:
You will not be disappointed!
I can assure you and everyone that you shall not be disappointed Smile

(Mind eveyone, I am not their salesman)

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
rajani --

I have been running dedicated (and virtual) servers for the past 5+ years.

I know what it costs, and I think Alex's price is quite fair. In fact, I didn't find it appealing, because I didn't think they could provide that service for that price. At 10 hosts per machine, and 1 gig a day, that's 10 gig a day, with something around 21 gig a day pretty much maxing out a T1/10mbs ethernet connection.

Some places due to their location can offer discounts on bandwidth, because they share a larger pipe with someone else who has over bought (such as a company located in the same building as UUNet). Then, they don't pay the phone company for a line, they just run a network connection to the pipe -- that can save 50% at first.

$21 for what you say is a loss-leader. That is below industry _cost_. Look at it this way -- if there are 10 accounts on that machine, that is $210/month -- that can't pay for the machine, upkeep, service, electricity, connections, etc. It leaves nothing for keeping up, since they are already selling at a loss.

If you don't mind having to change your ISP right when your business starts to grow, then go for price. If you value your business, then shop for stability and long-term planning in your ISP.

I would never _dream_ of setting up a business on a 'free' server. You have no control, and if you grow too big they cut you off. Additionally, you have no idea of the _real_ costs of your business. Example: the CPU usage that gets most people cut off. That is a finite -- and expensive -- resource. You have to add another machine to increase it.

The free hosts make their money by trying to attract traffic. They hope to get 1000 people to set up pages, but that none of the pages use any resources. That's why they limit resources such as disk, cpu, bandwidth, etc. The only way you'll get more is if your site performs -- ie: generates the advertising revenue.

But, if that's the case -- why set up on a free host? You do the work, they get the profit. You might as well start on an ISP that has a sliding scale and who is interested in your growth and success. They will work with you to make sure you succeed, since your success is their success.

The free hosts have no such vested interest. Every page view they get an ad, so they don't really care how well you do -- but they do care how much resources you use. That affects THEIR profits.

Anyway. raj, I think you are getting a bit abrasive and abusive of Alex and Gossamer, and I think I'm moving to the camp that wishes Alex would just refund your money, end your license and wish you well somewhere else.