Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Links SQL Demo Online

Quote Reply
Links SQL Demo Online
The Links SQL demo is finally online. =) I've used the Business section of DMoz (the Open Directory). You can see it at:

http://gossamer-threads.com/scripts/links-sql/

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Links SQL Demo Online In reply to
Hi Alex,

I the admin demo, I tried to check for duplicate links. This is what I got:

Quote:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 00:46:31 GMT Server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_perl/1.19 Connection: close Content-Type: text/html
OK
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, alex@gossamer-threads.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Quote Reply
Oops.. Still a few mod_perl issues. All fixed up.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
I was just about to ask you for an update on the SQL version Smile

Do you have a test script to verify that everything needed to run Links SQL is available on the server?

Many programs have a pre-installation program that checks for all the external modules and programs needed. If something isn't there, or available the way your program needs, it lists it as missing or needed.

Scott
Quote Reply
Oh -- a few other things.

I've modified links 2.0 to use some of the mods available, as well as others. Most modifications were done to the Site_html_templates file, but some to jump.cgi and nph_build.cgi

Have you taken into account these modifications?

I really want to upgrade to SQL, since I know that putting more time into the Links 2.0 will eventually lead me down a dead end. I have to migrate to an SQL server.

I really wish you had continued with the open code, so we can see what we are getting into. With Links as the central feature of most sites, the decision to upgrade is much more than $450, it's a whole set of "Can I's" and "Will it's"

Scott
Quote Reply
Hi Scott,

I understand your concern. Most mods won't work transparently on the Links SQL version as it is a complete rewrite. One of the goals was to make the script run well under mod_perl for even better performance, and the way Links 2.0 is setup makes it difficult.

I am working on porting over mods, a lot of them are quite easy, while some more difficult. I plan to make all mods available in the resource center, or integrate them into Links SQL if the impact is minimal. It will just take a little time. =)

As for a script, I don't have one yet. It's pretty easy to check if you have telnet:

perl -v

make sure it is perl 5.004 or greater.

perl -MDBI -e "print 'DBI!'";
perl -MDBD::mysql -e "print 'DBD!'";

will tell you if you have DBI and DBD::mysql loaded. If you have that then you should be set! I'll work on a better script though.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Well, it looks like I got the modules correctly installed, and MySQL seems to answer the call of the few tests the installation manual gave.

Can you look at my site:
http://www.postcards.com/links/pages/

and let me know if you think the SQL version will do what I need it to? Pretty much the major mods were the 3-level-new and the logo-image-priority (though I've used it in a completely different way).

I had to modify jump.cgi to allow return of a "page" on a Random Link jump, rather than just a fetch:URL call.

If Links SQL will serve what I need, I'll register it, if I can't, I'll register Links 2 and see what I can do about breaking the database into multiple separate parts as we grow to keep performance up.

I've been waiting for the SQL, but without seeing the code, and putting it into place, there is no way to tell if it will work for me or not.

This is the problem: Links SQL is more of a change over than an upgrade. Because of that, we can't know what we are getting into, until we are in to it. Catch-22.

Scott
Quote Reply
Hi Alex!

Whats this?

gossamer-threads.com/perl/links/subscribe.cgi

(It looks like we are all trying to catch you from somewhere!!! Smile Smile Smile)

Cheers,

[This message has been edited by rajani (edited July 08, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Alex,

Scott is right, of course --this is a changeover, rather than an upgrade. I've shoe-horned my site layout and design into L2, but with 350 cats/subs and the multi-cat mod, I had to make some serious adjustments to the admin. I need SQL, and $450 isn't actually my primary concern when I hesitate... rather, it's knowing that if I make the switch, I'll be entering a much smaller group of users and the forum will be greatly reduced.

You've posted that multi-cat is on the "to-do" list, can I assume that Nested Ifs will be one of the other first mods to be ported over?

Bob
Quote Reply

Quote:
Pretty much the major mods were the 3-level-new and the logo-image-priority (though I've used it in a completely different way).

I plan to have the three level new mod and multi category mod finished by friday. The Nested If mod was included from the start. The priority logo is very easy:

1. Add a new field called Priority.
2. Change the sort order of pages to Priority first, then Name.

and you are done. I'd be happy to add this in to any purchase. I'm coding them by demand, so if you want one ported over, send me an email.

Cheers,

Alex